Piedmont

Duwop wrote:
> Piedmont wrote:
>
>>Duwop wrote:
>>
>>>Piedmont wrote:

>>Hey, Duwop
>>
>>What I mean is that when using lump, which is carbon, you need to add
>>seasoned firewood that still gives off a "smoke" is required for a
>> smoke flavor. Lump, regardless of it's original species, oak, maple,
>>hickory, etc has no "smoke", if you see smoke it's probably from new
>>or old grease and drippings.

SNIP
> The lump brand I use tends towards the low side of doneness if you know what
> I mean, brown still shows in spots and some of it looks more like singed
> wood than coal. And it makes a lot of smoke, especially when starting up. So

SNIP

> Dale

Hey, Duwop

I think you hit the nail on the head my friend. I make my own lump and
some of it doesn't process all the way. There is some "wood" remaining
in some pieces. It would be those spots that give off some "real" wood
smoke. Even some of the briquttes you can by have bits of "wood" in them
for just such a purpose. But the best of my homemade lump is pure carbon
and
doesn't give a smokey taste. Which is why I will toss on sticks of split
wood to kick up the smoke flavor and to kick up the heat too. With a
good bed of coals, the split wood does flame but the smoke stays
relativly "light" as in, not a dense white cloud but more towards the
nice blue gray haze.

Now I have to go, heading down to Columbia, SC for the results of the
1st annual Carolina Q Cup. I want to see what them boys do to Q, 25
gazzers and 25 wood or coal jobs, I cheering for the coal and wood boys
myself. These boys are suppose to do all kinds of Q. Seems Carolina does
vertually every kind of hog. Tomato base sauce, red vinegar sauce, clear
vinegar sauce, and I think a mustard base.

http://www.carolinaqcup.com/

Peace brother q'r

Piedmont (South Carolina), aka sweets(Illinois), aka mike willsey
(Indiana) I swear this is my last move! As I'm sure the law can't find
me now! he, he!