Brian Macke

Default What's this black stuff on my spatula?

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 18:58:38 +0000, shipwreck wrote:

> I called KA today and they said that they polish the bowls and that's
> what's probably coming off. I used some BonAmi and elbow grease twice.
> yeah, the bowl is nice and shinney, but the black stuff is still there.

This is tickling something way back in the far reaches of my brain. I
remember reading this fascinating article about a person cutting an orange
with a plastic knife. The result was this molten black residue that looked
like something out of a bad horror film.

If my memory is still intact, it had to do with the type of plastic used
in the knife interacting with an oil on the skin of the orange. The
residue was "safe" but the article suggested that you should just stick to
metal knives when cutting oranges.

Sadly Google is useless because "orange" and "black" are just too vague.

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which