Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On 2021-06-12 4:40 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:31:08 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

> I can't recall the last time I saw a dog of any sort in any store. A local...
> garden supply, I guess, has a cat. Since it used to be "Hertler's Feed Store",
> the tradition may have started by the Hertlers keeping a mouser. Now
> it's all yuppified (can we still call it "yuppies" when we've all got gray
> hair?), but they still have a cat.
>
> OTOH, perhaps the people who grocery-shop at 6 or 7 am just aren't
> the sort to bring their purse dog. Their appearance suggests they're more
> likely to leave their rottweiler at home to guard their trailer.

There are a number of non grocery stores around here that are pet
friendly. One hardware store has a sign saying that they would rather
you bring your dog into the store than to leave it in the car. There is
no pretense of the dog's service roll. I was in there one day and told
them I might take them up on that and take my dog into the store and
then see how quickly that sign would come down.