Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Chicken gumbo, do you like it? I've never had it, but...

wrote:

> On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:44:57 AM UTC-5,
> wrote:
> >
> > Today I bought a can of Campbell's condensed chick gumbo soup. I
> > sure as heck didn't like it. Is there file' powder in there? I
> > don't know, but I'd sooner have regular chicken soup with rice or
> > noodles. My question is: does this soup at all have any similarity
> > with a traditional chicken gumbo? If yes, then I will make gumbo
> > and throw the whole thing out as good for nothing.
> >

> I've never eaten Campbell's chicken gumbo soup. I can't imagine it
> would resemble homemade gumbo in taste in the least.

I've not seen that one. Perhaps it's there but never noted it nor tried
it.

It's relatively easy to make and may or may not have okra.

5-6 cup batch

Have the following ready measured and cut to go:

1-1.5 cups mixed cut of bell peppers (red, green, yellow), okra
1-1.5 cups cooked chicken and sausage (link type, not like Jimmy Deans
rolls)
1/2 cup cut up onion
4 cups chicken broth

2 TBSP flour
1 TBSP fat (butter, bacon grease etc.)

Melt butter then whisk in flour on low heat until browned. Add onion
and vegetables (except okra) and continue cooking for 3 minutes,
stirring constantly and making sure to get any brown bits up. Then,
while stirring slowly add broth, whisking it in so no lumps form. Once
you have it all in, add meats, a bay leaf (if you have it), lots of
black pepper, okra (if using), mild chile powder*, and 1/2 tspn File
powder if you have it. Simmer until done (about 10 more minutes).

*Mild chile powder can be also a single anaheim pepper or a banana
pepper. This can also be made hotter if you like.

Traditionally served over rice. Most versions replace 1 cup of the
chicken broth with 1 cup of diced or crushed tomatos.

This is very much a 'play with it' recipe. I've seen it done with a
can of Rotel type tomatoes replacing that much of the broth and liked
the effect.

Hopefully this will help?