Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken gumbo, do you like it? I've never had it, but...

Today I bought a can of Campbell's condensed chick gumbo soup. I sure as heck didn't like it. Is there file' powder in there? I don't know, but I'd sooner have regular chicken soup with rice or noodles. My question is: does this soup at all have any similarity with a traditional chicken gumbo? If yes, then
I will make gumbo and throw the whole thing out as good for nothing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:44:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> Today I bought a can of Campbell's condensed chick gumbo soup. I sure as heck didn't like it. Is there file' powder in there? I don't know, but I'd sooner have regular chicken soup with rice or noodles. My question is: does this soup at all have any similarity with a traditional chicken gumbo? If yes, then
> I will make gumbo and throw the whole thing out as good for nothing.

I've never eaten Campbell's chicken gumbo soup. I can't imagine it would
resemble homemade gumbo in taste in the least.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 07:44:54 -0700 (PDT), John Lorbal
> wrote:

>Today I bought a can of Campbell's condensed chick gumbo soup. I sure as heck didn't like it. Is there file' powder in there? I don't know, but I'd sooner have regular chicken soup with rice or noodles. My question is: does this soup at all have any similarity with a traditional chicken gumbo? If yes, then
>I will make gumbo and throw the whole thing out as good for nothing.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 11:05:25 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:44:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> Today I bought a can of Campbell's condensed chick gumbo soup. I sure as heck didn't like it. Is there file' powder in there? I don't know, but I'd sooner have regular chicken soup with rice or noodles. My question is: does this soup at all have any similarity with a traditional chicken gumbo? If yes, then
>> I will make gumbo and throw the whole thing out as good for nothing.
>>

>I've never eaten Campbell's chicken gumbo soup. I can't imagine it would
>resemble homemade gumbo in taste in the least.

I've never seen Campbells chicken gumbo, least I've not noticed it.
But it's Campbells soup and I've eaten lots and none were noticably
bad... they don't come close to my homemade but none I've tried were
off putting. I find Campbells soups not special but all as good if
not better than soup from any restaurant. I'll guess that Campbells
gumbo contains okra and many people don't like okra. It just so
happens that next to beets okra is a favorate vegetable, and I grow
lots of okra. Too bad okra doesn't come canned like beets, would save
me a lot of work. When fresh okra is available one of our favorite
dishes is an okra omelet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 11:05:25 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:44:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> Today I bought a can of Campbell's condensed chick gumbo soup. I sure as heck didn't like it. Is there file' powder in there? I don't know, but I'd sooner have regular chicken soup with rice or noodles. My question is: does this soup at all have any similarity with a traditional chicken gumbo? If yes, then
>> I will make gumbo and throw the whole thing out as good for nothing.
>>

>I've never eaten Campbell's chicken gumbo soup. I can't imagine it would
>resemble homemade gumbo in taste in the least.

Not Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 15:24:15 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 11:05:25 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:44:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>>>
>>> Today I bought a can of Campbell's condensed chick gumbo soup. I sure as heck didn't like it. Is there file' powder in there? I don't know, but I'd sooner have regular chicken soup with rice or noodles. My question is: does this soup at all have any similarity with a traditional chicken gumbo? If yes, then
>>> I will make gumbo and throw the whole thing out as good for nothing.
>>>

>>I've never eaten Campbell's chicken gumbo soup. I can't imagine it would
>>resemble homemade gumbo in taste in the least.

>I've never seen Campbells chicken gumbo, least I've not noticed it.
>But it's Campbells soup and I've eaten lots and none were noticably
>bad... they don't come close to my homemade but none I've tried were
>off putting. I find Campbells soups not special but all as good if
>not better than soup from any restaurant. I'll guess that Campbells
>gumbo contains okra and many people don't like okra. It just so
>happens that next to beets okra is a favorate vegetable, and I grow
>lots of okra. Too bad okra doesn't come canned like beets, would save
>me a lot of work. When fresh okra is available one of our favorite
>dishes is an okra omelet.

Not Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 2:24:20 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I find Campbells soups not special but all as good if
> not better than soup from any restaurant. I'll guess that Campbells
> gumbo contains okra and many people don't like okra. It just so
> happens that next to beets okra is a favorate vegetable, and I grow
> lots of okra. Too bad okra doesn't come canned like beets, would save
> me a lot of work. When fresh okra is available one of our favorite
> dishes is an okra omelet.

I've eaten many cans of Campbell's chicken noodle or rice soup throughout
my life when I've been sick. Also, just a quick filling meal so I can't fault
those soups.

I'm a fan of okra as well. I believe frozen, unbreaded, okra is available
here but when I go to the store this week I'll check it out. Do you like
pickled okra?? Pretty good stuff to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:26:48 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 2:24:20 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> I find Campbells soups not special but all as good if
>> not better than soup from any restaurant. I'll guess that Campbells
>> gumbo contains okra and many people don't like okra. It just so
>> happens that next to beets okra is a favorate vegetable, and I grow
>> lots of okra. Too bad okra doesn't come canned like beets, would save
>> me a lot of work. When fresh okra is available one of our favorite
>> dishes is an okra omelet.
>>

>I've eaten many cans of Campbell's chicken noodle or rice soup throughout
>my life when I've been sick. Also, just a quick filling meal so I can't fault
>those soups.

Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup
"Chicken stock, water, enriched egg noodles(wheat flour, eggs, egg
whites, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin,
folic acid), chicken meat, contains less than 2% of: modified food
starch, salt, chicken fat, monosodium glutamate, flavoring, chicken
broth**, beta carotene for color, cane sugar, soy protein isolate,
sodium phosphate, onions**, yeast extract, chicken**, onion extract,
garlic extract. ** dehydrated."

Were you sick before you ate the soup or after?

>I'm a fan of okra as well. I believe frozen, unbreaded, okra is available
>here but when I go to the store this week I'll check it out. Do you like
>pickled okra?? Pretty good stuff to me.

I love okra too. I don't understand why so many people hate it. I
never had it pickled, though. We get it frozen at an Asian store and I
think one mainstream supermarket also sells it frozen.

--
Not DS
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 2:24:20 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> I find Campbells soups not special but all as good if
>> not better than soup from any restaurant. I'll guess that Campbells
>> gumbo contains okra and many people don't like okra. It just so
>> happens that next to beets okra is a favorate vegetable, and I grow
>> lots of okra. Too bad okra doesn't come canned like beets, would save
>> me a lot of work. When fresh okra is available one of our favorite
>> dishes is an okra omelet.
>>

> I've eaten many cans of Campbell's chicken noodle or rice soup throughout
> my life when I've been sick. Also, just a quick filling meal so I can't fault
> those soups.
>
> I'm a fan of okra as well. I believe frozen, unbreaded, okra is available
> here but when I go to the store this week I'll check it out. Do you like
> pickled okra?? Pretty good stuff to me.

Popeye wants canned okra, so he can slurp it out of the can. Some
do like it. It's OK, but fried is much better.

No problems most places getting breaded frozen okra (I've not seen
unbreaded). In the north anything may be hard to come by. Lots of
yankees don't even know what okra is. It's as mysterious as grits
to most. Popeye probably wouldn't know either, if he hadn't
discovered it in the navy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Lorbal wrote:

> Today I bought a can of Campbell's condensed chick gumbo soup. I
> sure as heck didn't like it. Is there file' powder in there? I
> don't know, but I'd sooner have regular chicken soup with rice or
> noodles. My question is: does this soup at all have any similarity
> with a traditional chicken gumbo? If yes, then I will make gumbo and
> throw the whole thing out as good for nothing.

I don't know how close it may be to gumbo. I've only had the real
thing or variations made from scratch that were close.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:44:57 AM UTC-5,
> wrote:
> >
> > Today I bought a can of Campbell's condensed chick gumbo soup. I
> > sure as heck didn't like it. Is there file' powder in there? I
> > don't know, but I'd sooner have regular chicken soup with rice or
> > noodles. My question is: does this soup at all have any similarity
> > with a traditional chicken gumbo? If yes, then I will make gumbo
> > and throw the whole thing out as good for nothing.
> >

> I've never eaten Campbell's chicken gumbo soup. I can't imagine it
> would resemble homemade gumbo in taste in the least.

I've not seen that one. Perhaps it's there but never noted it nor tried
it.

It's relatively easy to make and may or may not have okra.

5-6 cup batch

Have the following ready measured and cut to go:

1-1.5 cups mixed cut of bell peppers (red, green, yellow), okra
1-1.5 cups cooked chicken and sausage (link type, not like Jimmy Deans
rolls)
1/2 cup cut up onion
4 cups chicken broth

2 TBSP flour
1 TBSP fat (butter, bacon grease etc.)

Melt butter then whisk in flour on low heat until browned. Add onion
and vegetables (except okra) and continue cooking for 3 minutes,
stirring constantly and making sure to get any brown bits up. Then,
while stirring slowly add broth, whisking it in so no lumps form. Once
you have it all in, add meats, a bay leaf (if you have it), lots of
black pepper, okra (if using), mild chile powder*, and 1/2 tspn File
powder if you have it. Simmer until done (about 10 more minutes).

*Mild chile powder can be also a single anaheim pepper or a banana
pepper. This can also be made hotter if you like.

Traditionally served over rice. Most versions replace 1 cup of the
chicken broth with 1 cup of diced or crushed tomatos.

This is very much a 'play with it' recipe. I've seen it done with a
can of Rotel type tomatoes replacing that much of the broth and liked
the effect.

Hopefully this will help?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:52:46 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> On 2021-06-07, > wrote:
>
> > I'm a fan of okra as well. I believe frozen, unbreaded, okra is available
> > here but when I go to the store this week I'll check it out. Do you like
> > pickled okra?? Pretty good stuff to me.

> We even have frozen okra in Nevada. I love pickled okra, "Talk O' Texas"
> brand.
>
> leo

I don't know what the brand is at my local store, probably something regional.
Hmmmmm, now I'll probably buy a jar of it and a jar of pickled beets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2021 11:38:08 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:26:48 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 2:24:20 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> I find Campbells soups not special but all as good if
>>> not better than soup from any restaurant. I'll guess that Campbells
>>> gumbo contains okra and many people don't like okra. It just so
>>> happens that next to beets okra is a favorate vegetable, and I grow
>>> lots of okra. Too bad okra doesn't come canned like beets, would save
>>> me a lot of work. When fresh okra is available one of our favorite
>>> dishes is an okra omelet.
>>>

>>I've eaten many cans of Campbell's chicken noodle or rice soup throughout
>>my life when I've been sick. Also, just a quick filling meal so I can't fault
>>those soups.

>Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup
>"Chicken stock, water, enriched egg noodles(wheat flour, eggs, egg
>whites, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin,
>folic acid), chicken meat, contains less than 2% of: modified food
>starch, salt, chicken fat, monosodium glutamate, flavoring, chicken
>broth**, beta carotene for color, cane sugar, soy protein isolate,
>sodium phosphate, onions**, yeast extract, chicken**, onion extract,
>garlic extract. ** dehydrated."
>
>Were you sick before you ate the soup or after?
>
>>I'm a fan of okra as well. I believe frozen, unbreaded, okra is available
>>here but when I go to the store this week I'll check it out. Do you like
>>pickled okra?? Pretty good stuff to me.

>I love okra too. I don't understand why so many people hate it. I
>never had it pickled, though. We get it frozen at an Asian store and I
>think one mainstream supermarket also sells it frozen.

Not DS
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:26:48 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 2:24:20 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> I find Campbells soups not special but all as good if
>> not better than soup from any restaurant. I'll guess that Campbells
>> gumbo contains okra and many people don't like okra. It just so
>> happens that next to beets okra is a favorate vegetable, and I grow
>> lots of okra. Too bad okra doesn't come canned like beets, would save
>> me a lot of work. When fresh okra is available one of our favorite
>> dishes is an okra omelet.
>>

>I've eaten many cans of Campbell's chicken noodle or rice soup throughout
>my life when I've been sick. Also, just a quick filling meal so I can't fault
>those soups.
>
>I'm a fan of okra as well. I believe frozen, unbreaded, okra is available
>here but when I go to the store this week I'll check it out. Do you like
>pickled okra?? Pretty good stuff to me.

Pickled okra is okay but I prefer it plain fresh from my garden.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 8:47:03 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> wrote:
> > On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 2:24:20 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> >>
> >> I find Campbells soups not special but all as good if
> >> not better than soup from any restaurant. I'll guess that Campbells
> >> gumbo contains okra and many people don't like okra. It just so
> >> happens that next to beets okra is a favorate vegetable, and I grow
> >> lots of okra. Too bad okra doesn't come canned like beets, would save
> >> me a lot of work. When fresh okra is available one of our favorite
> >> dishes is an okra omelet.
> >>

> > I've eaten many cans of Campbell's chicken noodle or rice soup throughout
> > my life when I've been sick. Also, just a quick filling meal so I can't fault
> > those soups.
> >
> > I'm a fan of okra as well. I believe frozen, unbreaded, okra is available
> > here but when I go to the store this week I'll check it out. Do you like
> > pickled okra?? Pretty good stuff to me.
> >

> Popeye wants canned okra, so he can slurp it out of the can. Some
> do like it. It's OK, but fried is much better.
>
> No problems most places getting breaded frozen okra (I've not seen
> unbreaded). In the north anything may be hard to come by. Lots of
> yankees don't even know what okra is. It's as mysterious as grits
> to most. Popeye probably wouldn't know either, if he hadn't
> discovered it in the navy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popeye...the_Sailor.png

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 20:01:38 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:52:46 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>
>> On 2021-06-07, > wrote:
>>
>> > I'm a fan of okra as well. I believe frozen, unbreaded, okra is available
>> > here but when I go to the store this week I'll check it out. Do you like
>> > pickled okra?? Pretty good stuff to me.

>> We even have frozen okra in Nevada. I love pickled okra, "Talk O' Texas"
>> brand.
>>
>> leo
>>

>I don't know what the brand is at my local store, probably something regional.
>Hmmmmm, now I'll probably buy a jar of it and a jar of pickled beets.

Not DS

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2021 06:48:39 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:26:48 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 2:24:20 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> I find Campbells soups not special but all as good if
>>> not better than soup from any restaurant. I'll guess that Campbells
>>> gumbo contains okra and many people don't like okra. It just so
>>> happens that next to beets okra is a favorate vegetable, and I grow
>>> lots of okra. Too bad okra doesn't come canned like beets, would save
>>> me a lot of work. When fresh okra is available one of our favorite
>>> dishes is an okra omelet.
>>>

>>I've eaten many cans of Campbell's chicken noodle or rice soup throughout
>>my life when I've been sick. Also, just a quick filling meal so I can't fault
>>those soups.
>>
>>I'm a fan of okra as well. I believe frozen, unbreaded, okra is available
>>here but when I go to the store this week I'll check it out. Do you like
>>pickled okra?? Pretty good stuff to me.

>Pickled okra is okay but I prefer it plain fresh from my garden.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 04:21:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 8:47:03 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> wrote:

>> > I've eaten many cans of Campbell's chicken noodle or rice soup throughout
>> > my life when I've been sick. Also, just a quick filling meal so I can't fault
>> > those soups.
>> >
>> > I'm a fan of okra as well. I believe frozen, unbreaded, okra is available
>> > here but when I go to the store this week I'll check it out. Do you like
>> > pickled okra?? Pretty good stuff to me.
>> >

>> Popeye wants canned okra, so he can slurp it out of the can. Some
>> do like it. It's OK, but fried is much better.
>>
>> No problems most places getting breaded frozen okra (I've not seen
>> unbreaded). In the north anything may be hard to come by. Lots of
>> yankees don't even know what okra is. It's as mysterious as grits
>> to most. Popeye probably wouldn't know either, if he hadn't
>> discovered it in the navy.
>>

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popeye...the_Sailor.png
>>

>--Bryan

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:44:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Today I bought a can of Campbell's condensed chick gumbo soup. I sure as heck didn't like it. Is there file' powder in there? I don't know, but I'd sooner have regular chicken soup with rice or noodles. My question is: does this soup at all have any similarity with a traditional chicken gumbo? If yes, then
> I will make gumbo and throw the whole thing out as good for nothing.

It shouldn't come as a big surprise that Campbell's chicken gumbo is not a very good representation.

The ingredient list isn't quite as awful as I expected. There's actually okra in there, but I'd be surprised if it contains file powder. I suspect much of the thickening comes from the modified corn starch.

Perhaps the best use for Campbell's chicken gumbo is to make gumbo burgers, a sloppy joe variant seen mostly in the Midwest.

They're an interesting oddity, but better than I expected.

https://www.campbells.com/recipes/ch...o-sloppy-joes/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 2:24:20 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>I've never eaten Campbell's chicken gumbo soup. I can't imagine it would
>resemble homemade gumbo in taste in the least.
> I've never seen Campbells chicken gumbo, least I've not noticed it.
> But it's Campbells soup and I've eaten lots and none were noticably
> bad... they don't come close to my homemade but none I've tried were
> off putting. I find Campbells soups not special but all as good if
> not better than soup from any restaurant. I'll guess that Campbells
> gumbo contains okra and many people don't like okra. It just so
> happens that next to beets okra is a favorate vegetable, and I grow
> lots of okra. Too bad okra doesn't come canned like beets, would save
> me a lot of work. When fresh okra is available one of our favorite
> dishes is an okra omelet.

Campbell's sells both Condensed Chicken Gumbo and Chunky Chicken and Sausage Gumbo.

I've tried both and don't think either is very good.

If a restaurant served me something resembling Campbell's chicken gumbo, I'd probably eat it but I certainly wouldn't return.

You're in luck! Canned okra is available from a number of packers, including Allen's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 16:15:33 -0700 (PDT), odlayo >
wrote:

>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 2:24:20 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>I've never eaten Campbell's chicken gumbo soup. I can't imagine it would
>>resemble homemade gumbo in taste in the least.
>> I've never seen Campbells chicken gumbo, least I've not noticed it.
>> But it's Campbells soup and I've eaten lots and none were noticably
>> bad... they don't come close to my homemade but none I've tried were
>> off putting. I find Campbells soups not special but all as good if
>> not better than soup from any restaurant. I'll guess that Campbells
>> gumbo contains okra and many people don't like okra. It just so
>> happens that next to beets okra is a favorate vegetable, and I grow
>> lots of okra. Too bad okra doesn't come canned like beets, would save
>> me a lot of work. When fresh okra is available one of our favorite
>> dishes is an okra omelet.

>Campbell's sells both Condensed Chicken Gumbo and Chunky Chicken and Sausage Gumbo.
>
>I've tried both and don't think either is very good.
>
>If a restaurant served me something resembling Campbell's chicken gumbo, I'd probably eat it but I certainly wouldn't return.
>
>You're in luck! Canned okra is available from a number of packers, including Allen's.

Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 16:07:24 -0700 (PDT), odlayo >
wrote:

>On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:44:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>> Today I bought a can of Campbell's condensed chick gumbo soup. I sure as heck didn't like it. Is there file' powder in there? I don't know, but I'd sooner have regular chicken soup with rice or noodles. My question is: does this soup at all have any similarity with a traditional chicken gumbo? If yes, then
>> I will make gumbo and throw the whole thing out as good for nothing.

>It shouldn't come as a big surprise that Campbell's chicken gumbo is not a very good representation.
>
>The ingredient list isn't quite as awful as I expected. There's actually okra in there, but I'd be surprised if it contains file powder. I suspect much of the thickening comes from the modified corn starch.
>
>Perhaps the best use for Campbell's chicken gumbo is to make gumbo burgers, a sloppy joe variant seen mostly in the Midwest.
>
>They're an interesting oddity, but better than I expected.
>
>https://www.campbells.com/recipes/ch...o-sloppy-joes/

Not Dave Smith

REC: Chicken Gumbo Mike Muth General Cooking 43 24-01-2012 02:37 AM
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo fred Recipes (moderated) 0 07-10-2008 03:03 AM
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo fred Recipes (moderated) 0 04-10-2008 02:10 PM
CHICKEN GUMBO Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-06-2005 02:49 PM
Chicken Gumbo Soup Marilee Jones Recipes (moderated) 0 19-06-2004 01:39 PM