PENMART01

> "Charles Gifford" writes:
>
>"PENMART01" wrote:
>> >Richard wrote:
>> >I've just been given half a wheel of Pecorino cheese.
>> >
>> >what the best way to store this cheese? and how long is it
>> >likely to last before going 'off'?

>>Wrap in plastic film and keep in fridge. I'd section it into 1lb wedges and

wrap >>individually. Grated pecorino freezes well.

>I do as Sheldon suggests. I would also grate half of it, put it in a freezer
>bag and freeze it.

Yes, that's why I mentioned that grated it freezes well. With large chunks of
cheese in the fridge I like to section and wrap each chunk separately so that
way I can work on one piece at a time without having to handle the entire lot,
much less risk of cross contamination of the parts not being used. Don't leave
a whole section out to come to room temperature, cut off what you anticipate
consuming and immediately refrigerate the rest. It's also a good idea to
completely change the plastic wrap with fresh at least once a week on the piece
being used, better to do this *before* it begins to look grungy... and any
small pieces not consumed can be stored in a plastic container in the freezer,
to be used for cooking. With the price of cheese approaching that of prime
beef it behooves to treat it with respect. Naturally if you consume the whole
piece the first day then forget all of the above.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon