Richard

Default Storing Pecorino cheese?

Hi All...
I've just been given half a wheel of Pecorino cheese, from a friend
who knows I love the stuff...

Only thing is, I've never, ever had this much pecorino in the house
before... what the best way to store this cheese? and how long is it
likely to last before going 'off'?

Cheers,
Richard

PS: Anybody got any decent recipes involving LOTS of pecorino?

PENMART01

>Richard wrote:
>I've just been given half a wheel of Pecorino cheese.
>
>I've never, ever had this much pecorino in the house
>before... what the best way to store this cheese? and how long is it
>likely to last before going 'off'?

Wrap in plastic film and keep in fridge. I'd section it into 1lb wedges and
wrap individually. Grated pecorino freezes well.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
CJB

previously in rfc, Richard > wrote:

> Hi All...
> I've just been given half a wheel of Pecorino cheese, from a friend
> who knows I love the stuff...
>
> Only thing is, I've never, ever had this much pecorino in the house
> before... what the best way to store this cheese? and how long is it
> likely to last before going 'off'?
>
> Cheers,
> Richard
>
> PS: Anybody got any decent recipes involving LOTS of pecorino?

Lucky you!!! Wrap it well. I like eating it plain. In fact, I have
started to grate it when I buy it, or ask the cheese guy to grate it so
that I'm less likely to eat it straight up when I get home. That always
happens. By the time I need it for something, it's already gone.

This is something we do with grated romano as a snack. A couple of
handfuls of the stuff pressed down into the center circle of a lunch plate.
I'd guess about 4 or 5 inches wide. Like making a pressed crust. (that
sounds confusing, sorry). Then, we microwave the cheese for a minute to a
minute thirty, let it cool about 5 minutes, peel the beautiful round of
crisp cheese off the plate, let it sit a couple of seconds on a paper towel
if you want to get rid of some of the oil (I never do) and then eat it as a
delicious salty cheesy snack. They are totally addicting. (the microwave
time will vary according to your microwave, what kind of plate you use, how
much cheese you use, how fresh the cheese is, etc. We experiment with one
or two each time we have a new batch)

Warning - they do splatter while cooking all over the inside of your
microwave, but it's not a big deal to wipe down the inside afterwards with
some vinegar and water.

-Claudia
Julia Altshuler

First wrap it in plastic wrap that sits close to surface of the cheese.
Then put it in a ziplock baggie that cover it even if the plastic wrap
moves. Finally, pop the whole thing in the refrigerator. It should
last close to forever that way.

Pecorino cheese is classic in pesto. I'd use it there.

--Lia, delighted to be putting to use her newfound knowledge from the
wine and cheese shop

Richard wrote:
> Hi All...
> I've just been given half a wheel of Pecorino cheese from a friend
> who knows I love the stuff.
>
> Only thing is, I've never, ever, had this much pecorino in the house
> before. What the best way to store this cheese, and how long is it
> likely to last before going 'off'?
>
> Cheers,
> Richard
>
> PS: Anybody got any decent recipes involving LOTS of pecorino?

Kate B

"Richard" > wrote in message
> Hi All...
> I've just been given half a wheel of Pecorino cheese, from a friend
> who knows I love the stuff...

<snippage>
> PS: Anybody got any decent recipes involving LOTS of pecorino?

I made this last night as a variation on aglio ed olio as I had some
pecorino and pancetta on hand. Quick, easy and yumalicious! Put water
onto boil for spaghetti. In the meantime finely mince fresh garlic. Cut
pancetta into matchstick pieces and saute over medium heat in a pan with
good quality EV olive oil (use a saute pan large enough to comfortably hold
the pasta later). Cook to desired doneness (I like it a little crispy).
Lower the heat and add garlic and saute but do not let garlic brown. Add
desired amount of crushed red pepper. Turn off heat while pasta cooks and
season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Grate a generous amount
of pecorino romano. When pasta is done drain (reserving a little of the
water if you like) and mix well with the olive oil - garlic - pancetta
mixture. Add pecorino and toss some more. Enjoy!

Kate

Kate B

"Richard" > wrote in message
> Hi All...
> I've just been given half a wheel of Pecorino cheese, from a friend
> who knows I love the stuff...

<snippage>
> PS: Anybody got any decent recipes involving LOTS of pecorino?

I made this last night as a variation on aglio ed olio as I had some
pecorino and pancetta on hand. Quick, easy and yumalicious! Put water
onto boil for spaghetti. In the meantime finely mince fresh garlic. Cut
pancetta into matchstick pieces and saute over medium heat in a pan with
good quality EV olive oil (use a saute pan large enough to comfortably hold
the pasta later). Cook to desired doneness (I like it a little crispy).
Lower the heat and add garlic and saute but do not let garlic brown. Add
desired amount of crushed red pepper. Turn off heat while pasta cooks and
season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Grate a generous amount
of pecorino romano. When pasta is done drain (reserving a little of the
water if you like) and mix well with the olive oil - garlic - pancetta
mixture. Add pecorino and toss some more. Enjoy!

Kate

Charles Gifford

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >Richard wrote:
> >I've just been given half a wheel of Pecorino cheese.
> >
> >I've never, ever had this much pecorino in the house
> >before... what the best way to store this cheese? and how long is it
> >likely to last before going 'off'?

> Wrap in plastic film and keep in fridge. I'd section it into 1lb wedges

and
> wrap individually. Grated pecorino freezes well.

I do as Sheldon suggests. I would also grate half of it, put it in a freezer
bag and freeze it. That way I can have grated pecorino on hand as I want it.
I have a 3 lb. bag of pecorino-parmesano mix in my freezer at the moment. I
enjoy the mix very much. I never mix Asiago though! I don't know how long it
lasts in the freezer as I use it frequently. I have kept Parmesano-Regiano
rinds for up to 2 years though and they are fine.

Charlie

PENMART01

> "Charles Gifford" writes:
>
>"PENMART01" wrote:
>> >Richard wrote:
>> >I've just been given half a wheel of Pecorino cheese.
>> >
>> >what the best way to store this cheese? and how long is it
>> >likely to last before going 'off'?

>>Wrap in plastic film and keep in fridge. I'd section it into 1lb wedges and

wrap >>individually. Grated pecorino freezes well.

>I do as Sheldon suggests. I would also grate half of it, put it in a freezer
>bag and freeze it.

Yes, that's why I mentioned that grated it freezes well. With large chunks of
cheese in the fridge I like to section and wrap each chunk separately so that
way I can work on one piece at a time without having to handle the entire lot,
much less risk of cross contamination of the parts not being used. Don't leave
a whole section out to come to room temperature, cut off what you anticipate
consuming and immediately refrigerate the rest. It's also a good idea to
completely change the plastic wrap with fresh at least once a week on the piece
being used, better to do this *before* it begins to look grungy... and any
small pieces not consumed can be stored in a plastic container in the freezer,
to be used for cooking. With the price of cheese approaching that of prime
beef it behooves to treat it with respect. Naturally if you consume the whole
piece the first day then forget all of the above.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> "Charles Gifford" writes:
>
>"PENMART01" wrote:
>> >Richard wrote:
>> >I've just been given half a wheel of Pecorino cheese.
>> >
>> >what the best way to store this cheese? and how long is it
>> >likely to last before going 'off'?

>>Wrap in plastic film and keep in fridge. I'd section it into 1lb wedges and

wrap >>individually. Grated pecorino freezes well.

>I do as Sheldon suggests. I would also grate half of it, put it in a freezer
>bag and freeze it.

Yes, that's why I mentioned that grated it freezes well. With large chunks of
cheese in the fridge I like to section and wrap each chunk separately so that
way I can work on one piece at a time without having to handle the entire lot,
much less risk of cross contamination of the parts not being used. Don't leave
a whole section out to come to room temperature, cut off what you anticipate
consuming and immediately refrigerate the rest. It's also a good idea to
completely change the plastic wrap with fresh at least once a week on the piece
being used, better to do this *before* it begins to look grungy... and any
small pieces not consumed can be stored in a plastic container in the freezer,
to be used for cooking. With the price of cheese approaching that of prime
beef it behooves to treat it with respect. Naturally if you consume the whole
piece the first day then forget all of the above.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Charles Gifford

"PENMART01" > wrote in message

> Yes, that's why I mentioned that grated it freezes well. With large

chunks of
> cheese in the fridge I like to section and wrap each chunk separately so

that
> way I can work on one piece at a time without having to handle the entire

lot,
> much less risk of cross contamination of the parts not being used. Don't

leave
> a whole section out to come to room temperature, cut off what you

anticipate
> consuming and immediately refrigerate the rest. It's also a good idea to
> completely change the plastic wrap with fresh at least once a week on the

piece
> being used, better to do this *before* it begins to look grungy...

Absolutely! Please change it. A couple of minutes now can avoid tears later!
This is important with ALL cheese - frozen or refrigerated. Change the wrap
frequently.

> and any
> small pieces not consumed can be stored in a plastic container in the

freezer,
> to be used for cooking.

Yep! Cheese rinds and odd bits are wonderful in soups and stews. My ragu is
always better with the addition of Parmesan rinds for some long simmering.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"PENMART01" > wrote in message

> Yes, that's why I mentioned that grated it freezes well. With large

chunks of
> cheese in the fridge I like to section and wrap each chunk separately so

that
> way I can work on one piece at a time without having to handle the entire

lot,
> much less risk of cross contamination of the parts not being used. Don't

leave
> a whole section out to come to room temperature, cut off what you

anticipate
> consuming and immediately refrigerate the rest. It's also a good idea to
> completely change the plastic wrap with fresh at least once a week on the

piece
> being used, better to do this *before* it begins to look grungy...

Absolutely! Please change it. A couple of minutes now can avoid tears later!
This is important with ALL cheese - frozen or refrigerated. Change the wrap
frequently.

> and any
> small pieces not consumed can be stored in a plastic container in the

freezer,
> to be used for cooking.

Yep! Cheese rinds and odd bits are wonderful in soups and stews. My ragu is
always better with the addition of Parmesan rinds for some long simmering.

Charlie

Charles Gifford