CJB

previously in rfc, Richard > wrote:

> Hi All...
> I've just been given half a wheel of Pecorino cheese, from a friend
> who knows I love the stuff...
>
> Only thing is, I've never, ever had this much pecorino in the house
> before... what the best way to store this cheese? and how long is it
> likely to last before going 'off'?
>
> Cheers,
> Richard
>
> PS: Anybody got any decent recipes involving LOTS of pecorino?

Lucky you!!! Wrap it well. I like eating it plain. In fact, I have
started to grate it when I buy it, or ask the cheese guy to grate it so
that I'm less likely to eat it straight up when I get home. That always
happens. By the time I need it for something, it's already gone.

This is something we do with grated romano as a snack. A couple of
handfuls of the stuff pressed down into the center circle of a lunch plate.
I'd guess about 4 or 5 inches wide. Like making a pressed crust. (that
sounds confusing, sorry). Then, we microwave the cheese for a minute to a
minute thirty, let it cool about 5 minutes, peel the beautiful round of
crisp cheese off the plate, let it sit a couple of seconds on a paper towel
if you want to get rid of some of the oil (I never do) and then eat it as a
delicious salty cheesy snack. They are totally addicting. (the microwave
time will vary according to your microwave, what kind of plate you use, how
much cheese you use, how fresh the cheese is, etc. We experiment with one
or two each time we have a new batch)

Warning - they do splatter while cooking all over the inside of your
microwave, but it's not a big deal to wipe down the inside afterwards with
some vinegar and water.

-Claudia