Posted to alt.food.wine
Dan the Man Dan the Man is offline

Default gift bottle

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 3:20:50 PM UTC-5, RichD wrote:
> You visit someone you haven't seen in a while,
> and bring a bottle of wine, as a gift, or to share.
> However, you don't know their tastes.
>
> What to buy? I figure, everyone enjoys bubbly, therefore
> cava or prosecco? (I'm on a sub-champagne budget)
> Or a fruity, simple rose?
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Also, if intended for immediate intake, bring some
> hors d'oeuvre? I'd stop at a deli, and pick up some
> antipasto - or...
>
> --
> Rich

An "extra-dry" bubbly (which is actually a tiny bit sweet) is probably a safe bet.
If you know anything about their food tastes, that might help you decide; do they like over-the-top sweet desserts? A German Auslese Riesling might work.
If they like lots of spice, a Gewurztraminer (also Deutsche) might do the trick.
If you're uncertain, your Prosecco idea could do it.

Dan-O