Posted to alt.food.wine

Default gift bottle

You visit someone you haven't seen in a while,
and bring a bottle of wine, as a gift, or to share.
However, you don't know their tastes.

What to buy? I figure, everyone enjoys bubbly, therefore
cava or prosecco? (I'm on a sub-champagne budget)
Or a fruity, simple rose?

Suggestions?

Also, if intended for immediate intake, bring some
hors d'oeuvre? I'd stop at a deli, and pick up some
antipasto - or...

--
Rich
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 3:20:50 PM UTC-5, RichD wrote:
> You visit someone you haven't seen in a while,
> and bring a bottle of wine, as a gift, or to share.
> However, you don't know their tastes.
>
> What to buy? I figure, everyone enjoys bubbly, therefore
> cava or prosecco? (I'm on a sub-champagne budget)
> Or a fruity, simple rose?
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Also, if intended for immediate intake, bring some
> hors d'oeuvre? I'd stop at a deli, and pick up some
> antipasto - or...
>
> --
> Rich

I think bubbly is safe, if I don't feel like needs to be Champagne, I'd probably do cava (Castellroig is very dependable and widely available).
Maybe rose in heat of summer, but I don't think it's universally liked (neither is bubbly, but more people appreciate).
I know people who are "red only" , and a couple who are "white only", but most would appreciate bubbly (or at least gesture)

Now if intended for immediate consumption (meaning with you), just bring what you like and hope they do as well!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/16/21 3:20 PM, RichD wrote:
> You visit someone you haven't seen in a while,
> and bring a bottle of wine, as a gift, or to share.
> However, you don't know their tastes.
>
> What to buy? I figure, everyone enjoys bubbly, therefore
> cava or prosecco? (I'm on a sub-champagne budget)
> Or a fruity, simple rose?
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Also, if intended for immediate intake, bring some
> hors d'oeuvre? I'd stop at a deli, and pick up some
> antipasto - or...

First of all, always give them the bottle with the expectation that they
won't open it, unless you've arranged beforehand to open it. I always
assume that it's a gift and plan accordingly. If you truly don't know
their tastes at all, it's a tough question. A lot of people don't like
truly dry wines, finding them too tart. I agree with you that Prosecco
seems like a safe choice (and, according to today's NY Times, soon there
will be rosé Prosecco on the market - win, win!)

Good luck,
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 3:20:50 PM UTC-5, RichD wrote:
> You visit someone you haven't seen in a while,
> and bring a bottle of wine, as a gift, or to share.
> However, you don't know their tastes.
>
> What to buy? I figure, everyone enjoys bubbly, therefore
> cava or prosecco? (I'm on a sub-champagne budget)
> Or a fruity, simple rose?
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Also, if intended for immediate intake, bring some
> hors d'oeuvre? I'd stop at a deli, and pick up some
> antipasto - or...
>
> --
> Rich

An "extra-dry" bubbly (which is actually a tiny bit sweet) is probably a safe bet.
If you know anything about their food tastes, that might help you decide; do they like over-the-top sweet desserts? A German Auslese Riesling might work.
If they like lots of spice, a Gewurztraminer (also Deutsche) might do the trick.
If you're uncertain, your Prosecco idea could do it.

Dan-O