Edwin Pawlowski

"Gus" > wrote in message

> Sometimes, when I am being really lazy, I take a sheet of aluminum foil
> that
> has held up some meat in the pit (and is greasy, etc.) and I stick it on
> top
> of the coals "until tomorrow." It burns up the grease OK, but often I
> notice that the foil itself is largely disintegrated by the heat of the
> hot
> coals. Thus, I wonder if aluminum metal is vaporized and goes into the
> "meat pit" (when, in Gus's case, the meat is already removed...).
>
> Gus is not sure that he wants to wrap anything in foil and put it onto the
> coals during Q-time.
>
> Your thoughts on that, Jack???

Depends on what you are wrapping. If the contents are moist and have enough
mass, they will act as a heat sink and keep the foil from vaporizing.
Aluminum melts at 1216 degrees, easily achieved on hot coals.

I've cooked potatoes wrapped in foil and it comes out intact.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome