Ray Steinhart

Default Wood used commercially vs charcoal

I have read many comments about not using whole wood for bbq, only
charcoal. Yet I have visited many bbq joints and they all seem to use
whole wood. How is this so? What makes their pits acceptable to the
use of whole wood. I use lump charcoal but do not seem to get the smoke
flavor I am looking for and I am thinking whole wood may be the answer.
I use a Brinkman vertical smoker with the side fire box- also called
the grill.

I am puzzled as to how restaurants can use whole wood.

Thanks for your answers.

Ray Steinhart