Dennis Rekuta

Alan wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:48:02 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>I found this recipe and it sounded good, but far too carby. Does anyone
>>have a recipe for this with less carbs in it?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/71963.asp

> I've never heard of "Donairs" although it sounds like it would be
> related to a form of doner kebab.

Depends on what part of the world your ethnic fast food restaurants come
from in your neck of the woods. Lebanese and some Turkish places call
the ground meat mixture on the vertical spit Donair, while most Turkish
places stick to Doner. The Greek version is mostly known as Gyros. At
least that is the North American experience.

The thin, marinated meat slices that are stacked on the same style of
vertical spit are called Shawarma here by both Arab and Jewish vendors,
whether it is chicken or beef. Don't even start on the differences
between Turkish, Yugoslavian, Balkans, Lebanese/Arab (even Pakistani)
versions of grilled or baked Kofta/Kofte (spiced ground meat shaped like
either sausages or flat meatloafs).

I just tell them to put it on my plate, and if there is no room in my
carb allowance, chuck out the pita bread (thick Greek style, generic
"Arab" style, or super thin, super large Syrian style).

Dennis (Type 2)