cde

Nordo wrote:
> There's a lot of blurbs on raw diets floating around the net, but I
> haven't been able to find anything close to a how-to guide. Does anyone
> know a website with a listing of what foods are best to eat to get a
> rounded raw diet?

You will probably need 3-5 kg of food per day, maybe more. It can be
expensive.

Something like this, more or less, you might have to experiment and
see how you feel:

20-25% nuts/seeds/olive/virgin olive oil/avocado, including flax or flax oil
and limiting omega6 fatty acids
10-20% leaves
10-20% nonsweet fruit and other "vegetables" including mushrooms
20-40% sweet fruit, some can go higher with this
0-20% legumes, probably best sprouted, lightly cooked
0-10% other

+ reliable B12 supplement (mandatory)
+ D supplement (optional, depending on exposure)
+ long-chain omega3 supplement (optional)

I'm also curious to know which vegetables are
> actually healthier when cooked, because articles always mention that
> such foods exist, but never give an example of one. Any info is
> appreciated.

Some of the carotenoids are considered to be best
assimilated when cooked (beta carotene in green and
orange vegetables and lycopene in tomatoes), although
this is somewhat debatable because cooking turns the
trans isomers into cis, which are less bioactive.

Grains and legumes are on the whole best cooked because
when raw they generally contain antinutrients that are
deactivated on cooking. Soaking and sprouting helps.

With vegetables, they are more digestible when cooked
because cooking breaks down the fiber matrix, but it
also destroys the protective phytochemicals.

Here are some raw diet plan comparisons with weak
spots highlighted in red

http://members.atlantic.net/~dec/raw.html

And here is a nutrient density listing of most
vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, and
whole grains:

http://members.atlantic.net/~dec/nutrient_density.html

Some pictures, to help you decide what to eat:

http://members.atlantic.net/~dec/nutrient_profiles.html

Also see Stephen Walsh's article, healthy choices on raw
food diets, not that I agree completely with everything
he writes:

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/raw_food.php