Dimitri

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> C'mon Dimitri, give me a break. Not a single one of your links had the
> remotest sign of a documented case of botulism from infusing oil with
> garlic
> or herbs - just more of the fact-free hand-waving about the supposed
> dangers. If you cannot do better, fine, but don;t waste my time with this
> garbage.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken

News 03/06/1989
Chopped Garlic in Oil Mixes

P89-9 Food and Drug
Administration
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Chris Lecos (202) 245-1144

The Food and Drug Administration today warned that consumers may risk
potentially fatal botulism food poisoning from some commercial and homemade
chopped garlic-and-oil mixes if they are left at room temperature instead of
refrigerated. The warning follows an investigation of three
hospitalizations
in New York after use of such a product.
The labels of non-preserved commercial products call for refrigeration,
and FDA emphasized this means refrigeration from manufacturing to
consumption. In particular, garlic-and-oil mixes containing little or no
acidifying agent such as phosphoric or citric acid should be kept
refrigerated
at all times, FDA stressed.
FDA also is notifying producers of the commercial products to review the
formulation and labeling of their products. When refrigeration is needed,
both shipping cartons and products sold at retail should be clearly and
prominently labeled with such statements as "Requires Refrigeration for
Safety" or "Refrigerate Both Before and After Opening," FDA advised.
The New York Department of Health announced Feb. 28 that two men and a
woman from Kingston, N.Y., were hospitalized with botulism after a dinner
Feb. 19 at the home of one of the victims. A chopped garlic and oil mix had
been used in a spread for garlic bread.
Preliminary investigation by the state has implicated a commercially
prepared mix, "Colavita Chopped Garlic in Extra Virgin Olive Oil"
distributed
by Colavita Pasta and Oil Co., Newark, N. J. The firm, which is recalling
all
sizes of the product, told New York officials that distribution was
discontinued more than a year ago. Although the Kingston outbreak is still
being investigated, preliminary reports indicate the product may have been
stored at room temperature, even though the container has a "Keep
Refrigerated" statement on its label.
Botulism is a potentially fatal food poisoning characterized by blurred
or
double vision, speech and breathing difficulty and progressive paralysis.
Without prompt and correct treatment, one-third of those diagnosed may die.
Clostridium botulinum bacteria are widespread in the environment and may
be found on various produce, including garlic, but their spores are harmless
when there is oxygen in the environment. However, the spores can produce a
deadly toxin when in an anaerobic (oxygen free), low acid environment.
Recent
FDA studies have shown that garlic in an oil mixture can support bacterial
growth and toxin production even when very few Clostridium botulinum spores
are present.
Chopped garlic in oil has been implicated in botulism poisoning in the
past. For example, in 1985 37 people suffered botulism poisoning after
eating
a commercial chopped garlic in soybean oil at a Vancouver, British Columbia,
restaurant.
ORhttp://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=Garlic+oil+poisoning&btnG=Search