James Shugg

"Luca Pinotti" > wrote in message >...
> James Shugg wrote:
> > Someone posted a recipe for ragu from Bologna, which reminded me of a
> > recipe I have at home for the Neapolitan version, which I have never
> > tried. It's quite different, as it involves slow cooking whole cuts of
> > pork (leg and rib), along with sausage, tomato, onion, etc, in a pot
> > on top of the stove and gradually adding tiny amounts of red wine,
> > white wine and then water over a period of up to six hours. This

> Are you sure?
>
> http://www.dentronapoli.it/Cucina/ragł.htm
> http://www.portanapoli.com/Ita/Cucina/body_ga_ragu.html
>
> Both sites are from Naples.
>
> Luca

Sorry, I don't speak much Italian, but I gather those recipes are
different to the one I briefly described? What interests me though is
that the second site makes mention of the poem "Monday, Tuesday,
Wednesday", which is also discussed in the preamble to my recipe (from
a beautiful little book called simply "Pasta Sauces" by Diane Seed,
published in 1988). She wrote that the poet was criticising his wife's
version of ragu, describing it just as "meat and tomato", whereas his
Mum's, made the proper way with time and love and care, was the real
thing. So I suppose there are different ways of doing it, some not as
good as others.

My question was, does anyone have experience of doing it the long way,
and is the result worth it?

Cheers, James

PS apologies if this post is repeated, had an internal server error.