Charles Howse

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message

> "Charles Howse" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
>> bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:
>>
>> 1 cup cider vinegar
>> 2 tablespoons salt
>> 1 tablespoon brown sugar
>> 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
>> 1 teaspoon crushed cayenne
>>
>> This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
>> The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
>> it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
>> I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.
>>

>> TIA,
>> Charles
>>

> Hey Charles, this is the sauce I make. Its alot like the sauces we would
> get
> at the Q joints back home in Birmingham. Its got just a bit of ketchup in
> it
> but trust me, its good sauce. And its really easy, too. You can adjust the
> ketchup content to your liking. After you make the recipe taste it and
> just
> add whatever you want til its the way you like it. Since you don't
> actually
> cook anything it makes it simple to adjust.
>
> FOSCO'S FAMOUS ALABAMA STYLE SAUCE
> 3/4 cup cider vinegar
> 1/4 cup white vinegar
> 1tbsp brown sugar
> 2tsp kosher salt
> 1/4tsp ground black pepper
> 1/2 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
> 1/4 to 1/2 cup ketchup
> 1tsp onion powder
> 1tsp garlic powder
> 1tsp ground mustard powder
> worcestershire

That sounds good! Making a sauce that doesn't require cooking is a real
plus, IMHO.

My Boston Butt turned out really good to the taste; although the bone pulled
out easily after 10 hrs, the meat wasn't "fall apart" tender.
If I was to be really critical, it was a little rubbery, and there were a
few tiny spots that were not done...the meat was red.
No one complained about anything, though, and we enjoyed every bit of it
this weekend along with college football and adult beverages! :-)

I don't have a thermometer to use to regulate the heat, nor to check the
internal temp of the meat before taking it off.
I used to have a cheap thermometer that I would set on the cooking grid, but
it got all smoked up and quit working after a few uses.
I would imagine I need one with a long probe that I can drop in the top vent
from time to time to check the temp?

An observation on BBQ rubs:
I rubbed my meat with the "All South BBQ Rub" from section 9.1 of the BBQ
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/9-1.html#9.1
and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
I found that only the outside 1/4" of the meat gets any benefit from the
rub. The meat farther down tastes the same whether you rub or cook 'nekid'.
Any discussion on that?

BTW, I have an original '50's model cast aluminum Portable Kitchen.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...06307?v=glance
Click the picture for a larger view.
There's no telling how many cows, chickens and hogs have made the ultimate
sacrifice on this cooker. ;-)