Charles Howse

Default Fix my sauce!! :-)

Hi,
I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:

1 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cayenne
1 teaspoon crushed cayenne

This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.

TIA,
Charles

Dave Bugg

Charles Howse wrote:

> 1 cup cider vinegar
> 2 tablespoons salt
> 1 tablespoon brown sugar
> 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
> 1 teaspoon crushed cayenne
>
> This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
> The question is, how can I fix it? ....

Hi, Charles. Add equal amounts of brown and white sugars in 1 tablespoon
increments until it is at the sweetness level you'd like. As to the salt,
use a large grained salt -- kosher or pickling, etc -- and start with half
of what you used. Table salt, by volume, will give more saltiness than an
equal measure of kosher.

Vinegar-based sauces are great with pork!!! That said, it is something that
may take folks some getting used to if they have never had Carolina-styled
sauces.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Dave Bugg

Charles Howse wrote:

> 1 cup cider vinegar
> 2 tablespoons salt
> 1 tablespoon brown sugar
> 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
> 1 teaspoon crushed cayenne
>
> This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
> The question is, how can I fix it? ....

Hi, Charles. Add equal amounts of brown and white sugars in 1 tablespoon
increments until it is at the sweetness level you'd like. As to the salt,
use a large grained salt -- kosher or pickling, etc -- and start with half
of what you used. Table salt, by volume, will give more saltiness than an
equal measure of kosher.

Vinegar-based sauces are great with pork!!! That said, it is something that
may take folks some getting used to if they have never had Carolina-styled
sauces.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que
http://davebbq.com/

Chef Juke

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:49:12 -0500, "Charles Howse" >
wrote:

>Hi,
>I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
>bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:
>
>1 cup cider vinegar
>2 tablespoons salt
>1 tablespoon brown sugar
>1 teaspoon ground cayenne
>1 teaspoon crushed cayenne
>
>This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
>The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
>it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
>I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.
>

>TIA,
>Charles

Charles,

Problem with something that has too much salt in it is....usually the
only way to overcome is by adding more of the OTHER ingredients until
you have reduced the percentage of salt sufficiently. In this case,
that may mean adding another whole cup of the other ingredients to end
up with 2 cups of sauce.

Personally, I would make a fresh start and add the salt last, and to
taste.

The other thing is, as you mention it is WAY to vinegary, you may
simply not LIKE vinegar sauce....you could cut it with water, or a
fruit juice (apple comes to mind) to make it less acidic but it will
likely still be fairly vinegary. I added some tomato paste to a
recipe for Carolina vinegar sauce when I was trying to reproduce one
I had in Lexington (at Jimmy's for those who care ) and it added some
texture and cut the sharpness a little.

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com

Chef Juke

wrote:

>Hi,
>I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
>bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:
>
>1 cup cider vinegar
>2 tablespoons salt
>1 tablespoon brown sugar
>1 teaspoon ground cayenne
>1 teaspoon crushed cayenne
>
>This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
>The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
>it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
>I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.
>

>TIA,
>Charles

Charles,

Problem with something that has too much salt in it is....usually the
only way to overcome is by adding more of the OTHER ingredients until
you have reduced the percentage of salt sufficiently. In this case,
that may mean adding another whole cup of the other ingredients to end
up with 2 cups of sauce.

Personally, I would make a fresh start and add the salt last, and to
taste.

The other thing is, as you mention it is WAY to vinegary, you may
simply not LIKE vinegar sauce....you could cut it with water, or a
fruit juice (apple comes to mind) to make it less acidic but it will
likely still be fairly vinegary. I added some tomato paste to a
recipe for Carolina vinegar sauce when I was trying to reproduce one
I had in Lexington (at Jimmy's for those who care ) and it added some
texture and cut the sharpness a little.

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com

Charles Howse

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:49:12 -0500, "Charles Howse" >
> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
>>bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:
>>
>>1 cup cider vinegar
>>2 tablespoons salt
>>1 tablespoon brown sugar
>>1 teaspoon ground cayenne
>>1 teaspoon crushed cayenne
>>
>>This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
>>The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
>>it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
>>I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.
>>

>>TIA,
>>Charles
>>

> Charles,
>
> Problem with something that has too much salt in it is....usually the
> only way to overcome is by adding more of the OTHER ingredients until
> you have reduced the percentage of salt sufficiently. In this case,
> that may mean adding another whole cup of the other ingredients to end
> up with 2 cups of sauce.
>
> Personally, I would make a fresh start and add the salt last, and to
> taste.

Good point, that's what I'll do next time. I'm determined to learn how to
make this stuff.

> The other thing is, as you mention it is WAY to vinegary, you may
> simply not LIKE vinegar sauce....you could cut it with water, or a

Actually, I've grown up here in West Tennessee eating vinegar sauce on my
BBQ sandwiches, and prefer it to something like Bullseye.

> fruit juice (apple comes to mind) to make it less acidic but it will
> likely still be fairly vinegary. I added some tomato paste to a
> recipe for Carolina vinegar sauce when I was trying to reproduce one
> I had in Lexington (at Jimmy's for those who care ) and it added some
> texture and cut the sharpness a little.

I've added a cup of apple juice I stole from my grandson while he wasn't
looking, some catsup, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of white
sugar, black pepper, and crushed cayenne...everyone still reacts violently
when tasting it. ;-) Too much vinegar!
I've also set the bowl of sauce on top of the smoker to see if some of the
vinegar will evaporate.

I'm smoking a 6.7 lb Boston Butt, and plan to eat about 7:30 Central time.

If all else fails, there's still time to go to the "Pig House" (our local
BBQ Drive-thru) and buy a cup of sauce.

Charles Howse

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:49:12 -0500, "Charles Howse" >
> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
>>bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:
>>
>>1 cup cider vinegar
>>2 tablespoons salt
>>1 tablespoon brown sugar
>>1 teaspoon ground cayenne
>>1 teaspoon crushed cayenne
>>
>>This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
>>The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
>>it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
>>I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.
>>

>>TIA,
>>Charles
>>

> Charles,
>
> Problem with something that has too much salt in it is....usually the
> only way to overcome is by adding more of the OTHER ingredients until
> you have reduced the percentage of salt sufficiently. In this case,
> that may mean adding another whole cup of the other ingredients to end
> up with 2 cups of sauce.
>
> Personally, I would make a fresh start and add the salt last, and to
> taste.

Good point, that's what I'll do next time. I'm determined to learn how to
make this stuff.

> The other thing is, as you mention it is WAY to vinegary, you may
> simply not LIKE vinegar sauce....you could cut it with water, or a

Actually, I've grown up here in West Tennessee eating vinegar sauce on my
BBQ sandwiches, and prefer it to something like Bullseye.

> fruit juice (apple comes to mind) to make it less acidic but it will
> likely still be fairly vinegary. I added some tomato paste to a
> recipe for Carolina vinegar sauce when I was trying to reproduce one
> I had in Lexington (at Jimmy's for those who care ) and it added some
> texture and cut the sharpness a little.

I've added a cup of apple juice I stole from my grandson while he wasn't
looking, some catsup, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of white
sugar, black pepper, and crushed cayenne...everyone still reacts violently
when tasting it. ;-) Too much vinegar!
I've also set the bowl of sauce on top of the smoker to see if some of the
vinegar will evaporate.

I'm smoking a 6.7 lb Boston Butt, and plan to eat about 7:30 Central time.

If all else fails, there's still time to go to the "Pig House" (our local
BBQ Drive-thru) and buy a cup of sauce.

Jack Curry

Charles Howse wrote:

stuff snipped-

> I've added a cup of apple juice I stole from my grandson while he
> wasn't looking, some catsup, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1
> tablespoon of white sugar, black pepper, and crushed
> cayenne...everyone still reacts violently when tasting it. ;-) Too
> much vinegar! I've also set the bowl of sauce on top of the smoker to
> see if some of the vinegar will evaporate.
>
> I'm smoking a 6.7 lb Boston Butt, and plan to eat about 7:30 Central
> time.
> If all else fails, there's still time to go to the "Pig House" (our
> local BBQ Drive-thru) and buy a cup of sauce.

As Chef Juke said,
"The other thing is, as you mention it is WAY to vinegary, you may
simply not LIKE vinegar sauce...."

Here's a traditional recipe for NC Vinegar Sauce and as you'll see, it's all
vinegar.

1 C white vinegar
1 C cider vinegar
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS cayenne pepper flakes
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper

Me...I love vinegar, especially on pulled pork. Others (you, I think)
don't, but that's why there are endless options to choose from. I suggest
you cut your losses, pitch the stuff you don't like and try a mustard or
tomato-based sauce.

This is my family's favorite:

Jack Curry's BBQ Sauce

14 oz catsup
3 TBS CYM (cheap yellow mustard)
1 1/2 c water
3/4 c cider vinegar
2 1/2 TBS dark brown sugar
1 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS chili powder
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Mix it, bring it to a boil, simmer 30 minutes.

Jack Curry

Jack Curry

Jack Curry

Charles Howse wrote:

stuff snipped-

> I've added a cup of apple juice I stole from my grandson while he
> wasn't looking, some catsup, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1
> tablespoon of white sugar, black pepper, and crushed
> cayenne...everyone still reacts violently when tasting it. ;-) Too
> much vinegar! I've also set the bowl of sauce on top of the smoker to
> see if some of the vinegar will evaporate.
>
> I'm smoking a 6.7 lb Boston Butt, and plan to eat about 7:30 Central
> time.
> If all else fails, there's still time to go to the "Pig House" (our
> local BBQ Drive-thru) and buy a cup of sauce.

As Chef Juke said,
"The other thing is, as you mention it is WAY to vinegary, you may
simply not LIKE vinegar sauce...."

Here's a traditional recipe for NC Vinegar Sauce and as you'll see, it's all
vinegar.

1 C white vinegar
1 C cider vinegar
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS cayenne pepper flakes
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper

Me...I love vinegar, especially on pulled pork. Others (you, I think)
don't, but that's why there are endless options to choose from. I suggest
you cut your losses, pitch the stuff you don't like and try a mustard or
tomato-based sauce.

This is my family's favorite:

Jack Curry's BBQ Sauce

14 oz catsup
3 TBS CYM (cheap yellow mustard)
1 1/2 c water
3/4 c cider vinegar
2 1/2 TBS dark brown sugar
1 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS chili powder
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Mix it, bring it to a boil, simmer 30 minutes.

Jack Curry

Jack Curry

Bruce

wrote:

>Hi,
>I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
>bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:
>
>1 cup cider vinegar
>2 tablespoons salt
>1 tablespoon brown sugar
>1 teaspoon ground cayenne
>1 teaspoon crushed cayenne
>
>This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
>The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
>it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
>I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.
>

>TIA,
>Charles

When using this on pulled pork you only need a few drops. Make it
again and cut the salt in half or leave it out.

I usually use just cider vinegar and some peppers. Texas Pete makes a
nice clear vinegar/pepper sauce. You might try it.

Bruce

Thomas Cormen

Chef Juke > writes:

> I added some tomato paste to a recipe for Carolina vinegar sauce
> when I was trying to reproduce one I had in Lexington (at Jimmy's
> for those who care ) and it added some texture and cut the sharpness
> a little.

I care!! It's been over 6 years since we were in Lexington, but I
still have fond memories of Jimmy's. I read recently, however, that
Jimmy has switched over to...dare I say it...an electric smoker.

Nevertheless, CJ, if you have a recipe for a clone of Jimmy's sauce,
wouldja mind posting it?

On a completely different topic, let me add my best wishes to Dave
Bugg on the opening of his Q joint. I'm way too far and way too busy
to get over there for the big event, but I sure wish I could be there
to meet the afb crew. I lurk here constantly, post rarely, but I feel
like I know so many of you. Yet the closest I've come to meeting any
of you was meeting Big Jim's son in Macintosh last March. Anyway,
Dave, here's to you and your venture.

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Professor of Computer Science Fax: (603) 646-1672
Director, Writing Program Email:
Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755-3510
F.G. Whitfurrows

"Charles Howse" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
> bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:
>
> 1 cup cider vinegar
> 2 tablespoons salt
> 1 tablespoon brown sugar
> 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
> 1 teaspoon crushed cayenne
>
> This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
> The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
> it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
> I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.
>

> TIA,
> Charles

Hey Charles, this is the sauce I make. Its alot like the sauces we would get
at the Q joints back home in Birmingham. Its got just a bit of ketchup in it
but trust me, its good sauce. And its really easy, too. You can adjust the
ketchup content to your liking. After you make the recipe taste it and just
add whatever you want til its the way you like it. Since you don't actually
cook anything it makes it simple to adjust.

FOSCO'S FAMOUS ALABAMA STYLE SAUCE
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1tbsp brown sugar
2tsp kosher salt
1/4tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
1/4 to 1/2 cup ketchup
1tsp onion powder
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp ground mustard powder
worcestershire

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

F.G. Whitfurrows

"Charles Howse" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
> bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:
>
> 1 cup cider vinegar
> 2 tablespoons salt
> 1 tablespoon brown sugar
> 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
> 1 teaspoon crushed cayenne
>
> This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
> The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
> it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
> I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.
>

> TIA,
> Charles

Hey Charles, this is the sauce I make. Its alot like the sauces we would get
at the Q joints back home in Birmingham. Its got just a bit of ketchup in it
but trust me, its good sauce. And its really easy, too. You can adjust the
ketchup content to your liking. After you make the recipe taste it and just
add whatever you want til its the way you like it. Since you don't actually
cook anything it makes it simple to adjust.

FOSCO'S FAMOUS ALABAMA STYLE SAUCE
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1tbsp brown sugar
2tsp kosher salt
1/4tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
1/4 to 1/2 cup ketchup
1tsp onion powder
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp ground mustard powder
worcestershire

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

F.G. Whitfurrows

a slight addition to the recipe is:

"Put it all in a Mason jar and shake it up really well. Allow to set for 15
minutes before using."

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Dave Bugg

Thomas Cormen wrote:

> On a completely different topic, let me add my best wishes to Dave
> Bugg on the opening of his Q joint. I'm way too far and way too busy
> to get over there for the big event, but I sure wish I could be there
> to meet the afb crew. I lurk here constantly, post rarely, but I feel
> like I know so many of you. Yet the closest I've come to meeting any
> of you was meeting Big Jim's son in Macintosh last March. Anyway,
> Dave, here's to you and your venture.

My thanks, Tom.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Bruce

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:24:38 GMT, Bruce > wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:49:12 -0500, "Charles Howse" >
>wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
>>bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:
>>
>>1 cup cider vinegar
>>2 tablespoons salt
>>1 tablespoon brown sugar
>>1 teaspoon ground cayenne
>>1 teaspoon crushed cayenne
>>
>>This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
>>The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
>>it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
>>I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.
>>

>>TIA,
>>Charles
>>

>When using this on pulled pork you only need a few drops. Make it
>again and cut the salt in half or leave it out.
>
>I usually use just cider vinegar and some peppers. Texas Pete makes a
>nice clear vinegar/pepper sauce. You might try it.
>
>Bruce

You might add some potato to soak up the salt. I know that works in
soups and stews.
Bruce

Bruce

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:24:38 GMT, Bruce > wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:49:12 -0500, "Charles Howse" >
>wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
>>bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:
>>
>>1 cup cider vinegar
>>2 tablespoons salt
>>1 tablespoon brown sugar
>>1 teaspoon ground cayenne
>>1 teaspoon crushed cayenne
>>
>>This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
>>The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
>>it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
>>I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.
>>

>>TIA,
>>Charles
>>

>When using this on pulled pork you only need a few drops. Make it
>again and cut the salt in half or leave it out.
>
>I usually use just cider vinegar and some peppers. Texas Pete makes a
>nice clear vinegar/pepper sauce. You might try it.
>
>Bruce

You might add some potato to soak up the salt. I know that works in
soups and stews.
Bruce

Kevin S. Wilson

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 07:39:47 GMT, Bruce > wrote:

>You might add some potato to soak up the salt.

And clams, diced celery, diced onion, and cream, unless, of course,
you wanted to make a vinegar-based BBQ sauce.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 07:39:47 GMT, Bruce > wrote:

>You might add some potato to soak up the salt.

And clams, diced celery, diced onion, and cream, unless, of course,
you wanted to make a vinegar-based BBQ sauce.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

Charles Howse

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message

> "Charles Howse" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
>> bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:
>>
>> 1 cup cider vinegar
>> 2 tablespoons salt
>> 1 tablespoon brown sugar
>> 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
>> 1 teaspoon crushed cayenne
>>
>> This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
>> The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
>> it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
>> I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.
>>

>> TIA,
>> Charles
>>

> Hey Charles, this is the sauce I make. Its alot like the sauces we would
> get
> at the Q joints back home in Birmingham. Its got just a bit of ketchup in
> it
> but trust me, its good sauce. And its really easy, too. You can adjust the
> ketchup content to your liking. After you make the recipe taste it and
> just
> add whatever you want til its the way you like it. Since you don't
> actually
> cook anything it makes it simple to adjust.
>
> FOSCO'S FAMOUS ALABAMA STYLE SAUCE
> 3/4 cup cider vinegar
> 1/4 cup white vinegar
> 1tbsp brown sugar
> 2tsp kosher salt
> 1/4tsp ground black pepper
> 1/2 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
> 1/4 to 1/2 cup ketchup
> 1tsp onion powder
> 1tsp garlic powder
> 1tsp ground mustard powder
> worcestershire

That sounds good! Making a sauce that doesn't require cooking is a real
plus, IMHO.

My Boston Butt turned out really good to the taste; although the bone pulled
out easily after 10 hrs, the meat wasn't "fall apart" tender.
If I was to be really critical, it was a little rubbery, and there were a
few tiny spots that were not done...the meat was red.
No one complained about anything, though, and we enjoyed every bit of it
this weekend along with college football and adult beverages! :-)

I don't have a thermometer to use to regulate the heat, nor to check the
internal temp of the meat before taking it off.
I used to have a cheap thermometer that I would set on the cooking grid, but
it got all smoked up and quit working after a few uses.
I would imagine I need one with a long probe that I can drop in the top vent
from time to time to check the temp?

An observation on BBQ rubs:
I rubbed my meat with the "All South BBQ Rub" from section 9.1 of the BBQ
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/9-1.html#9.1
and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
I found that only the outside 1/4" of the meat gets any benefit from the
rub. The meat farther down tastes the same whether you rub or cook 'nekid'.
Any discussion on that?

BTW, I have an original '50's model cast aluminum Portable Kitchen.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...06307?v=glance
Click the picture for a larger view.
There's no telling how many cows, chickens and hogs have made the ultimate
sacrifice on this cooker. ;-)

F.G. Whitfurrows

Charles Howse wrote:
> My Boston Butt turned out really good to the taste; although the bone
> pulled out easily after 10 hrs, the meat wasn't "fall apart" tender.
> If I was to be really critical, it was a little rubbery, and there
> were a few tiny spots that were not done...the meat was red.
> No one complained about anything, though, and we enjoyed every bit of
> it this weekend along with college football and adult beverages! :-)
>
> I don't have a thermometer to use to regulate the heat, nor to check
> the internal temp of the meat before taking it off.
> I used to have a cheap thermometer that I would set on the cooking
> grid, but it got all smoked up and quit working after a few uses.
> I would imagine I need one with a long probe that I can drop in the
> top vent from time to time to check the temp?

A probe is good. One to stick thru a tater and rest on the top grate to test
the cookin' temp, and one to stick in the meat to test the internal temp. Of
course if you cook bone-in butts then all ya gotta do is pick the roast up
by the bone and shake it. If the meat falls off its done. (oops, just re
read your post and realized this is exactly what you did) Probes are
cheap...buy a couple.

> An observation on BBQ rubs:
> I rubbed my meat with the "All South BBQ Rub" from section 9.1 of the
> BBQ FAQ
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/9-1.html#9.1
> and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
> I found that only the outside 1/4" of the meat gets any benefit from
> the rub. The meat farther down tastes the same whether you rub or
> cook 'nekid'. Any discussion on that?

I love the All South rub. I use it all the time. What ya do is this. When
you pull your pork after you take it off the cooker, then separate the bark
from the rest of the meat. Chop that bark up and mix it in with the rest of
your pulled pork for a good smoky flavor throughout. Trust me, man. It works
and you'll do it all the time after you've done it once.<g>

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Charles Howse

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message

> Charles Howse wrote:
>> My Boston Butt turned out really good to the taste; although the bone
>> pulled out easily after 10 hrs, the meat wasn't "fall apart" tender.
>> If I was to be really critical, it was a little rubbery, and there
>> were a few tiny spots that were not done...the meat was red.
>> No one complained about anything, though, and we enjoyed every bit of
>> it this weekend along with college football and adult beverages! :-)
>>
>> I don't have a thermometer to use to regulate the heat, nor to check
>> the internal temp of the meat before taking it off.
>> I used to have a cheap thermometer that I would set on the cooking
>> grid, but it got all smoked up and quit working after a few uses.
>> I would imagine I need one with a long probe that I can drop in the
>> top vent from time to time to check the temp?

> A probe is good. One to stick thru a tater and rest on the top grate to
> test
> the cookin' temp, and one to stick in the meat to test the internal temp.
> Of
> course if you cook bone-in butts then all ya gotta do is pick the roast up
> by the bone and shake it. If the meat falls off its done. (oops, just re
> read your post and realized this is exactly what you did) Probes are
> cheap...buy a couple.
>

>> An observation on BBQ rubs:
>> I rubbed my meat with the "All South BBQ Rub" from section 9.1 of the
>> BBQ FAQ
>> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/9-1.html#9.1
>> and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
>> I found that only the outside 1/4" of the meat gets any benefit from
>> the rub. The meat farther down tastes the same whether you rub or
>> cook 'nekid'. Any discussion on that?
>>

> I love the All South rub. I use it all the time. What ya do is this. When
> you pull your pork after you take it off the cooker, then separate the
> bark
> from the rest of the meat. Chop that bark up and mix it in with the rest
> of
> your pulled pork for a good smoky flavor throughout. Trust me, man. It
> works
> and you'll do it all the time after you've done it once.<g>

I really like the suggestion above...gonna do it!
Any opinion on why the meat was a little rubbery and had those spots where
it was still red?
Undercooked? overcooked? meat not turned while cooking? hot spot in cooker?

F.G. Whitfurrows

Charles Howse wrote:
> "F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message
>>

>> Charles Howse wrote:
>>> My Boston Butt turned out really good to the taste; although the
>>> bone pulled out easily after 10 hrs, the meat wasn't "fall apart"
>>> tender. If I was to be really critical, it was a little rubbery,
>>> and there were a few tiny spots that were not done...the meat was
>>> red.
>>> No one complained about anything, though, and we enjoyed every bit
>>> of it this weekend along with college football and adult beverages!
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> I don't have a thermometer to use to regulate the heat, nor to check
>>> the internal temp of the meat before taking it off.
>>> I used to have a cheap thermometer that I would set on the cooking
>>> grid, but it got all smoked up and quit working after a few uses.
>>> I would imagine I need one with a long probe that I can drop in the
>>> top vent from time to time to check the temp?

>> A probe is good. One to stick thru a tater and rest on the top grate
>> to test
>> the cookin' temp, and one to stick in the meat to test the internal
>> temp. Of
>> course if you cook bone-in butts then all ya gotta do is pick the
>> roast up by the bone and shake it. If the meat falls off its done.
>> (oops, just re read your post and realized this is exactly what you
>> did) Probes are cheap...buy a couple.
>>

>>> An observation on BBQ rubs:
>>> I rubbed my meat with the "All South BBQ Rub" from section 9.1 of
>>> the BBQ FAQ
>>> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/9-1.html#9.1
>>> and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
>>> I found that only the outside 1/4" of the meat gets any benefit from
>>> the rub. The meat farther down tastes the same whether you rub or
>>> cook 'nekid'. Any discussion on that?
>>>

>> I love the All South rub. I use it all the time. What ya do is this.
>> When you pull your pork after you take it off the cooker, then
>> separate the bark
>> from the rest of the meat. Chop that bark up and mix it in with the
>> rest of
>> your pulled pork for a good smoky flavor throughout. Trust me, man.
>> It works
>> and you'll do it all the time after you've done it once.<g>

> I really like the suggestion above...gonna do it!
> Any opinion on why the meat was a little rubbery and had those spots
> where it was still red?
> Undercooked? overcooked? meat not turned while cooking? hot spot in
> cooker?

I'm guessing undercooked. Was it bloody type red?

the main thing is to get yourself some kinda meat thermometer and cook it
til its at least 190 internal. 195 is better, just to be sure. I never turn
my butts while cooking, though some people do. Never had a problem.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Charles Howse

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message

> Charles Howse wrote:

>>> A probe is good. One to stick thru a tater and rest on the top grate
>>> to test
>>> the cookin' temp, and one to stick in the meat to test the internal
>>> temp. Of
>>> course if you cook bone-in butts then all ya gotta do is pick the
>>> roast up by the bone and shake it. If the meat falls off its done.
>>> (oops, just re read your post and realized this is exactly what you
>>> did) Probes are cheap...buy a couple.

>>> I love the All South rub. I use it all the time. What ya do is this.
>>> When you pull your pork after you take it off the cooker, then
>>> separate the bark
>>> from the rest of the meat. Chop that bark up and mix it in with the
>>> rest of
>>> your pulled pork for a good smoky flavor throughout. Trust me, man.
>>> It works
>>> and you'll do it all the time after you've done it once.<g>

>> I really like the suggestion above...gonna do it!
>> Any opinion on why the meat was a little rubbery and had those spots
>> where it was still red?
>> Undercooked? overcooked? meat not turned while cooking? hot spot in
>> cooker?

> I'm guessing undercooked. Was it bloody type red?

Yep, exactly...but only in a couple of spots.

> the main thing is to get yourself some kinda meat thermometer and cook it
> til its at least 190 internal. 195 is better, just to be sure. I never
> turn
> my butts while cooking, though some people do. Never had a problem.

At those temperatures, can I be assured it will be "fall-apart tender"?

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:43:08 -0500, "Charles Howse" >
wrote:

<snip a metric pantload of quoted text>

>"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message
>>

>> Charles Howse wrote:

>>> Any opinion on why the meat was a little rubbery and had those spots
>>> where it was still red?
>>> Undercooked? overcooked? meat not turned while cooking? hot spot in
>>> cooker?

>> I'm guessing undercooked. Was it bloody type red?

>Yep, exactly...but only in a couple of spots.
>>
>> the main thing is to get yourself some kinda meat thermometer and cook it
>> til its at least 190 internal. 195 is better, just to be sure. I never
>> turn
>> my butts while cooking, though some people do. Never had a problem.

>At those temperatures, can I be assured it will be "fall-apart tender"?

Yes.

Now that I've answered your question, please answer mine: Is it
possible that you both have a b0rken delete key? Or are you both just
having trouble finding it?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Kevin S. Wilson

wrote:

<snip a metric pantload of quoted text>

>"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message
>>

>> Charles Howse wrote:

>>> Any opinion on why the meat was a little rubbery and had those spots
>>> where it was still red?
>>> Undercooked? overcooked? meat not turned while cooking? hot spot in
>>> cooker?

>> I'm guessing undercooked. Was it bloody type red?

>Yep, exactly...but only in a couple of spots.
>>
>> the main thing is to get yourself some kinda meat thermometer and cook it
>> til its at least 190 internal. 195 is better, just to be sure. I never
>> turn
>> my butts while cooking, though some people do. Never had a problem.

>At those temperatures, can I be assured it will be "fall-apart tender"?

Yes.

Now that I've answered your question, please answer mine: Is it
possible that you both have a b0rken delete key? Or are you both just
having trouble finding it?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
F.G. Whitfurrows

*Then* Charles wrote:
> At those temperatures, can I be assured it will be >"fall-apart tender"?

Absolutely. Enjoy.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Charles Howse

>>At those temperatures, can I be assured it will be "fall-apart tender"?
>>

> Yes.
>
> Now that I've answered your question, please answer mine: Is it
> possible that you both have a b0rken delete key? Or are you both just
> having trouble finding it?

Ummm...no...the delete key seems to be working just fine, it's the backspace
key that's b0rken. ;-)
I'll save some bandwidth and trim my posts in the future, thanks for the
reminder.

F.G. Whitfurrows

Charles Howse wrote:

>>> At those temperatures, can I be assured it will be "fall-apart
>>> tender"?

Then somebody wrote

and then Charles wrote:

> Ummm...no...the delete key seems to be working just fine, it's the
> backspace key that's b0rken. ;-)
> I'll save some bandwidth and trim my posts in the future, thanks for
> the reminder.

Well now. Judging by the tone of that reply you got, Charlie, I'd say we've
just been told off by our good friend Kevvie Bear. I can't say for certain,
however, since you snipped his name out of your reply to him.

Anyhow, I'm just sorry I missed it. Of course if he'd just added me to his
killfile like I asked him....well, nevermind.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:05:42 -0700, "F.G. Whitfurrows"
> wrote:

> Of course if he'd just added me to his
>killfile like I asked him....well, nevermind.

You're in my killfile on one of two boxes I use regularly. You're now
in the killfile on the other box, putz.