Old 29-09-2019, 02:53 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Peter Flynn Peter Flynn is offline

Default Ultimate Cornbread recipe

On 26/09/2019 16:44, Boron Elgar wrote:
[...]
Cornmeal is different- sort of like polenta when it is coarse ground
cornmeal, but generally a finer grind is thought of when one
mentions cornmeal.

What you describe as cornflour, we refer to as cornstarch, and yes,
we use it for thickening, too.

Riiiight. Now I remember. Brain going soft.

These days, we think of it as the commercially cultured version. If
you cannot find that you "can use 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or
lemon juice plus enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir, then let stand
for 5 minutes. You can also use 1 cup of plain yogurt or 1-3/4
teaspoons cream of tartar plus 1 cup milk."

I did some digging, and the commercially cultured version is available,
but what we buy in the supermarket dairy section is literally what the
local creamery has left over after churning butter, so I'll carry on
using that.

Many thanks for clearing this up

Peter