Old 06-06-2019, 08:46 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Default Ultimate Cornbread recipe

In the interest of furthering the neverending discussion of how best
to make cornbread, I offer the following thoughts. Start as as folows.

4Tbs. Melted Butter, Margarine or Vegtable Oil (In that order of
preference)
1 Cup Cornmeal
1 Cup A/P Flour
Sugar--Anywher from nothing, if you're a True Southener, up to 1 Cup,
if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)
1 Tbs. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1-2 Tsp. Salt
1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)
1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly prefferable) or regular Milk
1-2 Eggs*

Grease a 10" skillet, and place it in a cold oven, and then pre-heat
it to 400 degrees Farenheight.

Mix the ingredients together (withold wet ingredients for as long as
possible), and pour into the fully heated skillet. Then bake at 400
degrees for 18-20 (posaibly 22) minutes.

* I've heard suggestions of 3 eggs. But I think that hurts the flavor.
I think that 3 eggs doesn't improve the rise (which it does), enough
to offset the detriment to flavor.

**With this said? I welcome vigorous debate. Have a quibble with this?
Feel free to say so. *EXCEPT* for one point. The Northern/Southern
thing. I.E.--sugar. That's a Holy War that just can not be resolved by
discussion. So let's not even try.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old 11-06-2019, 11:44 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On 06/06/2019 20:46, Derek Schur wrote:
In the interest of furthering the neverending discussion of how best
to make cornbread, I offer the following thoughts. Start as as follows.

Never tried this, although I think I may have eaten it on a trip to the
US once. It was like a yellow focaccia. and really good.

1 Cup Cornmeal

This I must hunt for. It's non-native, but I think my spice merchant
sells it.

Sugar--Anywhere from nothing, if you're a True Southerner, up to 1 Cup,
if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)

Lips are sealed on this.

1 Tbs. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Baking Soda

Baking powder *and* baking soda? I have some Clabber Girl double-acting
BP that I brought back a few trips ago. Would I need baking soda as well
if I used this?

1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)

Cool.

1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly preferable) or regular Milk

Buttermilk it shall be.

Grease a 10" skillet, and place it in a cold oven, and then pre-heat
it to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

A skillet has a handle, right? Like a frying pan?
*EXCEPT* for one point. The Northern/Southern
thing. I.E.--sugar. That's a Holy War that just can not be resolved by
discussion. So let's not even try.

Do Southerners use vi or Emacs?

Peter
Old 03-09-2019, 05:13 PM posted to rec.food.baking

GUEST wrote:
[...]

Thank you for such an excellent recipe.
I want to try to do it myself.