Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Shadow[_3_] Shadow[_3_] is offline

Default Sourdough with an automatic bread maker?

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 09:32:38 -0700 (PDT), Eric Graham
> wrote:

>Hello Shadow,
>
>Thanks very much for the detailed information! I am impressed with your method and now very much excited to try to make your pizza crust. I also very much like the idea of making a bunch of crusts, baking them, and freezing them. I wonder if my freezer is big enough...

Well, there's nothing radical about it. I started with a
standard recipe almost 20 years ago and adapted it... and adapted
it....

I tried olive oil, whole wheat in various proportions(even
tried rye), more or less sugar/salt and so on....

You can say I "Darwined" the bread to my environment and
taste.
Your opinion as to taste might differ.

>I am in eastern Washington State, USA, where our humidity and temperature are probably not as crazy as yours, although it does seem like I always need to adjust my recipes on the fly. Perhaps it's just the nature of sourdough.
>
>My method for making pizza crust using my sourdough is roughly this:
>
>1 and 3/4 cup active sourdough starter (near 100% hydration)
>~1.5 cup flour (can sub 1/2 cup whole wheat, masa)
>2 tsp salt, 4 Tbs olive oil, 2 tsp sugar
>
>This makes enough for 2 large doughs. This dough is definitely drier than my bread dough, which is very sticky. Note that I don't use any added water, just the wet starter. After mixing, I immediately roll out the crusts and then put them on a baking sheet with corn meal so they don't stick. I don't let them rise.

If I didn't let mine rise I thought they would become too
hard. Something I'd probably break a tooth on. No rise at all?
I'll try baking a no-rise. I'll make it 20 minutes before I do
the others, so I only have to pre-heat the oven once. It'll take a
while, I still have 5 whole pizza crusts in the freezer.

>I then fire up the grill as hot as I can get it and grill one side of the crust, just sliding the dough onto the grate, popping large bubbles as they form, and turning it once or twice to get a good, even brown on the one side.
>
>I then take the half-cooked crust off the grill and flip it onto my baking sheet again, cooked side up, take it inside and put toppings on the cooked side. I will then take the topped pizza back out and put it back on the grill, but on low heat, to brown the uncooked side and get the toppings hot (melt the cheese). This never quite cooks my toppings, so if I am using raw ingredients that I want cooked, I'll pre-cook them a bit.
>
>Thanks again for the recipe -- it's pizza time and I'll try your recipe!

Well, I hope it works out. I'd be interested to know if it
does in other climates. (Winter here ATM, 75F, a coldish day).
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012