Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] is offline

Default disturbing RFC news:

In article >,
> wrote:

> I don't know how to maintain a web site but I'd gladly donate the few
> dollars, I don't think the fee is very much. Something must have
> befallen them in South Africa... a very troubled spot on the planet.
> And actually from what I was told it was her husband who mostly
> maintained the site.

One needs to secure the domain name, or change it slightly if the
original is being held hostage for big bucks. Let's call the new one
recfoodcookingforever.com for now. I used to use GoDaddy for this.
<www.godaddy.com>, but there are others. It's inexpensive to secure a
domain name. It can be expensive to use a old one.
Then you need a hosting service. I used BlueHost, but I see GoDaddy
seems to do this now. That is fairly inexpensive also.
The total cost to me used to be less than fifty bucks a month. It may
cost a little more for a secure server site which one ought to have
these days, I've been told.
HTML 4.01 Strict forever! Yeah! Um...obsolete.
Then you have to create and upload the site to the host. I used to
create and upload my own stuff, so there was no charge for that. But
I'm old now and haven't kept up with the web. HTML and CSS were a
breeze to learn and a breeze to forget.
Creating a site as simple as rfc is/was easy, but maintaining it with
new info is a pain in the ass if you're not dedicated to the job. I'm
surprised that Chatty Cathy maintained it for so long for nothing at
all. Thanks, Chatty Cathy, from the bottom of my heart!
Comments Steve?

leo