Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default disturbing RFC news:

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 23:54:09 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/11/2019 1:54 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> > wrote:

>>> Dude the Newsgroup will not ever go anywhere. It does not matter who
>>> buys it or who sells it. Besides how can you sell an open forum that
>>> has already been established on many servers?
>>>

>Clueless!
>>
>> He’s not talking about the Usenet newsgroup itself, but a domain that
>> existed previously and was used for rfc “stuff”, like photos of us,
>> recipes, etc. The website was maintained by an rfc member.
>>

>Indeed it was! Maintained by several members over the course of many
>years. It changed hands a bit. It also contains many 'In Memorium'
>listings of RFC posters over the years. I sort of figured it was going
>by the wayside when regular poster Cheri Gaudet died. I was still able
>to access the site and clicked on Contact Webmaster (last known, Chatty
>Cathy) and asked that her obit be added to that page on the site. Never
>heard back and it never happened. I got the same message Gary did when
>I tried to access it some time last month. Yet, when I tried again a
>few days later I was able to access the RFC Signature Dishes page and
>printed off a recipe I remembered and knew I could easily find there.
>It's probably shut down now.
>
>Hey! Sheldon always complains about how no submits pics of themselves
>to the RFC photo gallery. Maybe he'd like to buy the domain and become
>webmaster. <j/k>
>
>Jill

I already emailed Chatty Cathy two days ago but no reply as of yet.

I don't know how to maintain a web site but I'd gladly donate the few
dollars, I don't think the fee is very much. Something must have
befallen them in South Africa... a very troubled spot on the planet.
And actually from what I was told it was her husband who mostly
maintained the site.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.