Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Happy CANADA DAY...Bonne fête du CANADA...!!!

On 2019-07-01 8:05 p.m., wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 19:32:42 -0400, Dave Smith

>> Quebecers have a well deserved bad name and not just among Anglos. Cheap
>> Bob was born in Quebec and lived there until he was about 8 and he hates
>> them. A co-worker, our officially designated bilingual officer, hated
>> them. My good buddy, Pierre, born and raised in Baie Comeau, lived there
>> until he was 10, prefers to live in Anglo Ontario and considers Quebec
>> to be inherently corrupt.

> In the mid-80s I drove my uncle and aunt up for a trip - there were
> several occasions that people were senselessly rude to us. I do think
> it is getting less now though as the old hard core are dying off, the
> young are not into the same separation mentality.

Not entirely. I was talking to the son in law of the people who used to
live behind us. He told me about heading out to Gaspe on a summer day
and driving with the windows down, and some guy passed him and yelled at
him to go back home. Mathieu told me, in his French Canadian accent,
that he thought to himself he was going home. He was raised in the Gaspe.

FWIW... when my son was living in Montreal he had a friend who was
living with a French Canadian girl. By coincidence. Her brother,
Mathieu, was married to the girl who lived behind us, and her sister
used to tutor my son in French. Their mother was from Magog, and was a
French teacher here in Niagara.

but I am going home