Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Happy CANADA DAY...Bonne fête du CANADA...!!!

wrote:

>> Correct - we arrived by Cunard during Expo 67, we disembarked in
>> Montreal but landed for a few hours first in Quebec City. My kids
>> were little and we told them in a tourist shop they could spend $3
>> each on a souvenir. My son wanted a little desk flag and asked the
>> owner how much it was and the man pretended not to understand English.
>> He was just 5 at the time and it annoyed me, so I took his hand and
>> said 'come on all of you, the man here doesn't speak English so we'll
>> go to one of the many other stores' could see by his face he knew damn
>> well what I said and I turned back from the door and told him
>> something he could do that was very rude, in French Kids didn't
>> know what I was saying.

> Let me guess... you told him in Français to shove all his flags up his
> derriere... sideways and hang em from a rusty nail! (Brooklynese.)

I have been to Quebec a few times. My son lived in Montreal for 10
years. I speak enough French to get by and when I am in Quebec I make an
effort so speak French. They usually answer in English, or at least slow
down their French for me. I can't say that I was ever treated rudely in
Quebec.

>> They were no better even a few years later but I think they have
>> learned now that it doesn't pay to aggravate tourists, OTOH I hear the
>> Floridians don't like snow birds from Quebec. So who knows.

Quebecers have a well deserved bad name and not just among Anglos. Cheap
Bob was born in Quebec and lived there until he was about 8 and he hates
them. A co-worker, our officially designated bilingual officer, hated
them. My good buddy, Pierre, born and raised in Baie Comeau, lived there
until he was 10, prefers to live in Anglo Ontario and considers Quebec
to be inherently corrupt.