Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_16_] Ophelia[_16_] is offline

Default How do you like your crepes?

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 6/28/2019 11:32 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
> On 6/28/2019 10:28 AM, Gary wrote:
>> A Moose in Love wrote:
>>>
>>> When I was growing up, we used to get crepes every once in a while.
>>> They were a bit thicker than your average French style crepe. Being
>>> that the women in our circle learned to make them while living in
>>> Hungary, they were called Palacsinta.
>>> The Hungarians make many different types of P, but our P's were pretty
>>> much the same. A crepe filled with ground walnuts, cottage cheese and
>>> apricot preserves. We didn't always eat them for desert though.
>>> Whenever we made a ham and navy bean soup, we'd eat these P's alongside.
>>> They're pretty yummy. Even if you just have them with only some type of
>>> preserve/jam in there, it would be really tasty.

>> I only bought one once and it was good. I make the same
>> occasionally but not often.
>> Thin crepe, sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice squeezed on.
>> Rolled up to eat and very tasty.
>>

> Ahem: dessert, not "desert".
>
> IMHO, savoury crepes are the best. I haven't made them in a couple of
> decades but when I did make crepes I filled them with a sauteed chicken
> and sliced button mushrooms filling with a mornay sauce, rolled and
> placed in a glass baking pan, topped with more sauce and heated through
> in the oven. Delicious!
>
> Crepes are a lot of work. One has to cook each crepe one at a time, set
> it aside (stacked between sheets of waxed paper is best so they don't
> stick together and dry out) until you have enough crepes to fill and
> stuff. Tasty but time consuming.
>
> I could dig out the recipe if you're interested.
>
> Jill
>
> =====
>
> Hmmm I have never had, or even heard of a savoury pancake!
> Interesting.
>
> Yes, please share a recipe?

You call it a pancake, I call them crepes.

Start with a basic crepe recipe. 1 cup all purpose flour, 1/4 tsp.
baking powder. 1 egg, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1-1/4 cup milk, 1 Tbs. melted
butter. Beat by hand until smooth. Lightly butter a 7-or 8 inch
skillet. Heat over medium heat. For each crepe, pour a scant 1/4 cup
of batter into the skillet and immediately rotate the skillet until a
thin film of batter covers the bottom. Cook until light brown. Run a
wide spatula around the edge to loosen; turn and cook the other side
briefly. Stack crepes separately with waxed paper. Brush the pan with
a little more butter as needed.

Once you've made the crepes, here's the filling.

1-1/2 cups cooked chicken, finely chopped

Sautee minced onion, celery and thinly sliced button mushrooms in butter
until tender. Season with salt & pepper and a bit of paprika. Stir in
1 cup of chicken broth or stock and heat to boiling, stirring, then add
enough flour to lightly thicken the sauce. Add about 1/4 cup of grated
swiss cheese and stir until smooth and melted. Spoon a little of the
cooked chicken with a bit of the sauce onto each crepe. Roll the crepes
and place, seam side down, in a glass baking dish. Spoon the remaining
cheese sauce over the crepes. Bake uncovered in a 350°F oven until
heated through, about 20 minutes.

Jill

===

Sounds good, thanks. Recipe saved