Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do you like your crepes?

When I was growing up, we used to get crepes every once in a while. They were a bit thicker than your average French style crepe. Being that the women in our circle learned to make them while living in Hungary, they were called Palacsinta.
The Hungarians make many different types of P, but our P's were pretty much the same. A crepe filled with ground walnuts, cottage cheese and apricot preserves. We didn't always eat them for desert though. Whenever we made a ham and navy bean soup, we'd eat these P's alongside. They're pretty yummy. Even if you just have them with only some type of preserve/jam in there, it would be really tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> When I was growing up, we used to get crepes every once in a while. They were a bit thicker than your average French style crepe. Being that the women in our circle learned to make them while living in Hungary, they were called Palacsinta.
> The Hungarians make many different types of P, but our P's were pretty much the same. A crepe filled with ground walnuts, cottage cheese and apricot preserves. We didn't always eat them for desert though. Whenever we made a ham and navy bean soup, we'd eat these P's alongside. They're pretty yummy. Even if you just have them with only some type of preserve/jam in there, it would be really tasty.

I only bought one once and it was good. I make the same
occasionally but not often.
Thin crepe, sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice squeezed on.
Rolled up to eat and very tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2019 10:28 AM, Gary wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
>>
>> When I was growing up, we used to get crepes every once in a while. They were a bit thicker than your average French style crepe. Being that the women in our circle learned to make them while living in Hungary, they were called Palacsinta.
>> The Hungarians make many different types of P, but our P's were pretty much the same. A crepe filled with ground walnuts, cottage cheese and apricot preserves. We didn't always eat them for desert though. Whenever we made a ham and navy bean soup, we'd eat these P's alongside. They're pretty yummy. Even if you just have them with only some type of preserve/jam in there, it would be really tasty.

> I only bought one once and it was good. I make the same
> occasionally but not often.
> Thin crepe, sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice squeezed on.
> Rolled up to eat and very tasty.

Ahem: dessert, not "desert".

IMHO, savoury crepes are the best. I haven't made them in a couple of
decades but when I did make crepes I filled them with a sauteed chicken
and sliced button mushrooms filling with a mornay sauce, rolled and
placed in a glass baking pan, topped with more sauce and heated through
in the oven. Delicious!

Crepes are a lot of work. One has to cook each crepe one at a time, set
it aside (stacked between sheets of waxed paper is best so they don't
stick together and dry out) until you have enough crepes to fill and
stuff. Tasty but time consuming.

I could dig out the recipe if you're interested.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 6/28/2019 10:28 AM, Gary wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
>>
>> When I was growing up, we used to get crepes every once in a while. They
>> were a bit thicker than your average French style crepe. Being that the
>> women in our circle learned to make them while living in Hungary, they
>> were called Palacsinta.
>> The Hungarians make many different types of P, but our P's were pretty
>> much the same. A crepe filled with ground walnuts, cottage cheese and
>> apricot preserves. We didn't always eat them for desert though.
>> Whenever we made a ham and navy bean soup, we'd eat these P's alongside.
>> They're pretty yummy. Even if you just have them with only some type of
>> preserve/jam in there, it would be really tasty.

> I only bought one once and it was good. I make the same
> occasionally but not often.
> Thin crepe, sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice squeezed on.
> Rolled up to eat and very tasty.

Ahem: dessert, not "desert".

IMHO, savoury crepes are the best. I haven't made them in a couple of
decades but when I did make crepes I filled them with a sauteed chicken
and sliced button mushrooms filling with a mornay sauce, rolled and
placed in a glass baking pan, topped with more sauce and heated through
in the oven. Delicious!

Crepes are a lot of work. One has to cook each crepe one at a time, set
it aside (stacked between sheets of waxed paper is best so they don't
stick together and dry out) until you have enough crepes to fill and
stuff. Tasty but time consuming.

I could dig out the recipe if you're interested.

Jill

=====

Hmmm I have never had, or even heard of a savoury pancake! Interesting.

Yes, please share a recipe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 07:03:15 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>When I was growing up, we used to get crepes every once in a while. They were a bit thicker than your average French style crepe. Being that the women in our circle learned to make them while living in Hungary, they were called Palacsinta.
>The Hungarians make many different types of P, but our P's were pretty much the same. A crepe filled with ground walnuts, cottage cheese and apricot preserves. We didn't always eat them for desert though. Whenever we made a ham and navy bean soup, we'd eat these P's alongside. They're pretty yummy. Even if you just have them with only some type of preserve/jam in there, it would be really tasty.

I really really like them with my pineapple jam that I make, (recipe
previously posted)

They are just completely outstanding!! Although I dont see how cottage
cheese would be better than cream cheese but to each his own

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2019 11:32 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> On 6/28/2019 10:28 AM, Gary wrote:
>> A Moose in Love wrote:
>>>
>>> When I was growing up, we used to get crepes every once in a while.
>>> They were a bit thicker than your average French style crepe.Â* Being
>>> that the women in our circle learned to make them while living in
>>> Hungary, they were called Palacsinta.
>>> The Hungarians make many different types of P, but our P's were
>>> pretty much the same.Â* A crepe filled with ground walnuts, cottage
>>> cheese and apricot preserves.Â* We didn't always eat them for desert
>>> though. Whenever we made a ham and navy bean soup, we'd eat these P's
>>> alongside. They're pretty yummy.Â* Even if you just have them with
>>> only some type of preserve/jam in there, it would be really tasty.

>> I only bought one once and it was good. I make the same
>> occasionally but not often.
>> Thin crepe, sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice squeezed on.
>> Rolled up to eat and very tasty.
>>

> Ahem: dessert, not "desert".
>
> IMHO, savoury crepes are the best.Â* I haven't made them in a couple of
> decades but when I did make crepes I filled them with a sauteed chicken
> and sliced button mushrooms filling with a mornay sauce, rolled and
> placed in a glass baking pan, topped with more sauce and heated through
> in the oven.Â* Delicious!
>
> Crepes are a lot of work.Â* One has to cook each crepe one at a time, set
> it aside (stacked between sheets of waxed paper is best so they don't
> stick together and dry out) until you have enough crepes to fill and
> stuff.Â* Tasty but time consuming.
>
> I could dig out the recipe if you're interested.
>
> Jill
>
> =====
>
> Â*Â* Hmmm I have never had, or even heard of a savoury pancake! Interesting.
>
> Â*Â* Yes, please share a recipe?

You call it a pancake, I call them crepes.

Start with a basic crepe recipe. 1 cup all purpose flour, 1/4 tsp.
baking powder. 1 egg, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1-1/4 cup milk, 1 Tbs. melted
butter. Beat by hand until smooth. Lightly butter a 7-or 8 inch
skillet. Heat over medium heat. For each crepe, pour a scant 1/4 cup
of batter into the skillet and immediately rotate the skillet until a
thin film of batter covers the bottom. Cook until light brown. Run a
wide spatula around the edge to loosen; turn and cook the other side
briefly. Stack crepes separately with waxed paper. Brush the pan with
a little more butter as needed.

Once you've made the crepes, here's the filling.

1-1/2 cups cooked chicken, finely chopped

Sautee minced onion, celery and thinly sliced button mushrooms in butter
until tender. Season with salt & pepper and a bit of paprika. Stir in
1 cup of chicken broth or stock and heat to boiling, stirring, then add
enough flour to lightly thicken the sauce. Add about 1/4 cup of grated
swiss cheese and stir until smooth and melted. Spoon a little of the
cooked chicken with a bit of the sauce onto each crepe. Roll the crepes
and place, seam side down, in a glass baking dish. Spoon the remaining
cheese sauce over the crepes. Bake uncovered in a 350°F oven until
heated through, about 20 minutes.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 1:04:46 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/28/2019 11:32 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ....

> >> I only bought one once and it was good. I make the same
> >> occasionally but not often.
> >> Thin crepe, sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice squeezed on.
> >> Rolled up to eat and very tasty.
> >>

> > Ahem: dessert, not "desert".
> >
> > IMHO, savoury crepes are the best.Â* I haven't made them in a couple of
> > decades but when I did make crepes I filled them with a sauteed chicken
> > and sliced button mushrooms filling with a mornay sauce, rolled and
> > placed in a glass baking pan, topped with more sauce and heated through
> > in the oven.Â* Delicious!
> >
> > Crepes are a lot of work.Â* One has to cook each crepe one at a time, set
> > it aside (stacked between sheets of waxed paper is best so they don't
> > stick together and dry out) until you have enough crepes to fill and
> > stuff.Â* Tasty but time consuming.
> >
> > I could dig out the recipe if you're interested.
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > =====
> >
> > Â*Â* Hmmm I have never had, or even heard of a savoury pancake! Interesting.
> >
> > Â*Â* Yes, please share a recipe?
> >

> You call it a pancake, I call them crepes.
>
> Start with a basic crepe recipe. 1 cup all purpose flour, 1/4 tsp.
> baking powder. 1 egg, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1-1/4 cup milk, 1 Tbs. melted
> butter. Beat by hand until smooth. Lightly butter a 7-or 8 inch
> skillet. Heat over medium heat. For each crepe, pour a scant 1/4 cup
> of batter into the skillet and immediately rotate the skillet until a
> thin film of batter covers the bottom. Cook until light brown. Run a
> wide spatula around the edge to loosen; turn and cook the other side
> briefly. Stack crepes separately with waxed paper. Brush the pan with
> a little more butter as needed.
>
> Once you've made the crepes, here's the filling.
>
> 1-1/2 cups cooked chicken, finely chopped
>
> Sautee minced onion, celery and thinly sliced button mushrooms in butter
> until tender. Season with salt & pepper and a bit of paprika. Stir in
> 1 cup of chicken broth or stock and heat to boiling, stirring, then add
> enough flour to lightly thicken the sauce. Add about 1/4 cup of grated
> swiss cheese and stir until smooth and melted. Spoon a little of the
> cooked chicken with a bit of the sauce onto each crepe. Roll the crepes
> and place, seam side down, in a glass baking dish. Spoon the remaining
> cheese sauce over the crepes. Bake uncovered in a 350°F oven until
> heated through, about 20 minutes.
>
> Jill

That's nice. Real good. I used to work in a crepe restaurant; we had to make the crepes seriously thin. We had ham and asparagus crepes in a mornay sauce, beef burgendy crepes, and desert crepes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 19:35:23 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 1:04:46 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

>> You call it a pancake, I call them crepes.
>>
>> Start with a basic crepe recipe. 1 cup all purpose flour, 1/4 tsp.
>> baking powder. 1 egg, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1-1/4 cup milk, 1 Tbs. melted
>> butter. Beat by hand until smooth. Lightly butter a 7-or 8 inch
>> skillet. Heat over medium heat. For each crepe, pour a scant 1/4 cup
>> of batter into the skillet and immediately rotate the skillet until a
>> thin film of batter covers the bottom. Cook until light brown. Run a
>> wide spatula around the edge to loosen; turn and cook the other side
>> briefly. Stack crepes separately with waxed paper. Brush the pan with
>> a little more butter as needed.
>>
>> Once you've made the crepes, here's the filling.
>>
>> 1-1/2 cups cooked chicken, finely chopped
>>
>> Sautee minced onion, celery and thinly sliced button mushrooms in butter
>> until tender. Season with salt & pepper and a bit of paprika. Stir in
>> 1 cup of chicken broth or stock and heat to boiling, stirring, then add
>> enough flour to lightly thicken the sauce. Add about 1/4 cup of grated
>> swiss cheese and stir until smooth and melted. Spoon a little of the
>> cooked chicken with a bit of the sauce onto each crepe. Roll the crepes
>> and place, seam side down, in a glass baking dish. Spoon the remaining
>> cheese sauce over the crepes. Bake uncovered in a 350°F oven until
>> heated through, about 20 minutes.
>>
>> Jill

>That's nice. Real good. I used to work in a crepe restaurant; we had to make the crepes seriously thin. We had ham and asparagus crepes in a mornay sauce, beef burgendy crepes, and desert crepes.

Did you have to be careful that the crepe didn't hit the fan?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2019 11:14 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Ahem: dessert, not "desert".

Maybe they were really dry?

> IMHO, savoury crepes are the best.Â* I haven't made them in a couple of
> decades but when I did make crepes I filled them with a sauteed chicken
> and sliced button mushrooms filling with a mornay sauce, rolled and
> placed in a glass baking pan, topped with more sauce and heated through
> in the oven.Â* Delicious!

Thanks for the reminder. We've not made them for ages, but a
hand-me-down from my grandmother.
Leftover roast beef would be ground. In a pan saute onion, mushrooms,
add the beef and either leftover gravy or broth to make the filling
moist. Put it in a crepe, fry and serve.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 11:37:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 07:03:15 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
> >When I was growing up, we used to get crepes every once in a while. They were a bit thicker than your average French style crepe. Being that the women in our circle learned to make them while living in Hungary, they were called Palacsinta.
> >The Hungarians make many different types of P, but our P's were pretty much the same. A crepe filled with ground walnuts, cottage cheese and apricot preserves. We didn't always eat them for desert though. Whenever we made a ham and navy bean soup, we'd eat these P's alongside. They're pretty yummy. Even if you just have them with only some type of preserve/jam in there, it would be really tasty.

> I really really like them with my pineapple jam that I make, (recipe
> previously posted)
>
> They are just completely outstanding!! Although I dont see how cottage
> cheese would be better than cream cheese but to each his own
>
> --
>
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Cottage cheese is a thing. We used to make our own.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 10:47:28 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 19:35:23 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 1:04:46 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

> >> You call it a pancake, I call them crepes.
> >>
> >> Start with a basic crepe recipe. 1 cup all purpose flour, 1/4 tsp.
> >> baking powder. 1 egg, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1-1/4 cup milk, 1 Tbs. melted
> >> butter. Beat by hand until smooth. Lightly butter a 7-or 8 inch
> >> skillet. Heat over medium heat. For each crepe, pour a scant 1/4 cup
> >> of batter into the skillet and immediately rotate the skillet until a
> >> thin film of batter covers the bottom. Cook until light brown. Run a
> >> wide spatula around the edge to loosen; turn and cook the other side
> >> briefly. Stack crepes separately with waxed paper. Brush the pan with
> >> a little more butter as needed.
> >>
> >> Once you've made the crepes, here's the filling.
> >>
> >> 1-1/2 cups cooked chicken, finely chopped
> >>
> >> Sautee minced onion, celery and thinly sliced button mushrooms in butter
> >> until tender. Season with salt & pepper and a bit of paprika. Stir in
> >> 1 cup of chicken broth or stock and heat to boiling, stirring, then add
> >> enough flour to lightly thicken the sauce. Add about 1/4 cup of grated
> >> swiss cheese and stir until smooth and melted. Spoon a little of the
> >> cooked chicken with a bit of the sauce onto each crepe. Roll the crepes
> >> and place, seam side down, in a glass baking dish. Spoon the remaining
> >> cheese sauce over the crepes. Bake uncovered in a 350°F oven until
> >> heated through, about 20 minutes.
> >>
> >> Jill

> >That's nice. Real good. I used to work in a crepe restaurant; we had to make the crepes seriously thin. We had ham and asparagus crepes in a mornay sauce, beef burgendy crepes, and desert crepes.

> Did you have to be careful that the crepe didn't hit the fan?

The crepe hit the fan whenever I got ****ed off! Sometimes the crepe hit the wait staff!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 04:44:30 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 10:47:28 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 19:35:23 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>> > wrote:

>> >That's nice. Real good. I used to work in a crepe restaurant; we had to make the crepes seriously thin. We had ham and asparagus crepes in a mornay sauce, beef burgendy crepes, and desert crepes.

>> Did you have to be careful that the crepe didn't hit the fan?

>The crepe hit the fan whenever I got ****ed off! Sometimes the crepe hit the wait staff!

lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

> [...]

wide spatula around the edge to loosen; turn and cook the other side
briefly. Stack crepes separately with waxed paper. Brush the pan with
a little more butter as needed.

Once you've made the crepes, here's the filling.

1-1/2 cups cooked chicken, finely chopped

Sautee minced onion, celery and thinly sliced button mushrooms in butter
until tender. Season with salt & pepper and a bit of paprika. Stir in
1 cup of chicken broth or stock and heat to boiling, stirring, then add
enough flour to lightly thicken the sauce. Add about 1/4 cup of grated
swiss cheese and stir until smooth and melted. Spoon a little of the
cooked chicken with a bit of the sauce onto each crepe. Roll the crepes
and place, seam side down, in a glass baking dish. Spoon the remaining
cheese sauce over the crepes. Bake uncovered in a 350°F oven until

===

Sounds good, thanks. Recipe saved

Crepes Gayle Hodur[_2_] General Cooking 18 22-03-2012 04:17 PM
Crepes? Peppermint Patootie Diabetic 11 05-03-2012 02:27 PM
Crepes Georgette Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2006 10:51 PM
Crepes kalanamak General Cooking 6 08-11-2005 10:21 PM
Got Crepes? Martha General Cooking 7 05-06-2005 05:40 PM