Posted to rec.food.baking
Derek Schur Derek Schur is offline

Default Ultimate Cornbread recipe

In the interest of furthering the neverending discussion of how best
to make cornbread, I offer the following thoughts. Start as as folows.

4Tbs. Melted Butter, Margarine or Vegtable Oil (In that order of
preference)
1 Cup Cornmeal
1 Cup A/P Flour
Sugar--Anywher from nothing, if you're a True Southener, up to 1 Cup,
if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)
1 Tbs. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1-2 Tsp. Salt
1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)
1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly prefferable) or regular Milk
1-2 Eggs*

Grease a 10" skillet, and place it in a cold oven, and then pre-heat
it to 400 degrees Farenheight.

Mix the ingredients together (withold wet ingredients for as long as
possible), and pour into the fully heated skillet. Then bake at 400
degrees for 18-20 (posaibly 22) minutes.

* I've heard suggestions of 3 eggs. But I think that hurts the flavor.
I think that 3 eggs doesn't improve the rise (which it does), enough
to offset the detriment to flavor.

**With this said? I welcome vigorous debate. Have a quibble with this?
Feel free to say so. *EXCEPT* for one point. The Northern/Southern
thing. I.E.--sugar. That's a Holy War that just can not be resolved by
discussion. So let's not even try.

---
https://www.avg.com