Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default For jk

On 2019-04-17 8:36 p.m., wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 7:12:31 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
>>
>> Â* Shirt , by 1990 I'd been smokin' for 25 years . Quit in March of 2005
>> and haven't missed 'em .
>>

> July 1st it will be 19 year since I quit smoking; cold turkey.

I started in highschool and and quit when I was about 30. I went cold
turkey. Fast forward 17 years and my father was in the hospital dying of
cancer. We went down to visit daily. My bothers would slip out for a
smoke and I would go and keep them company. I made the mistake of
bumming a few cigarettes thinking that after all that time I could have
an occasional smoke. I was embarrassed to be bumming butts so I bought a
pack. It lasted more than a week. By the time we had the memorial
service for Dad I was a smoker again for a few months. Six months later
I went on a trip to Europe with my brothers. I didn't even buy
cigarettes at the duty free. I should have. I ended up craving over
there and paid a lot more for them. Spending a couple weeks with four
smokers I came back with a pack a day habit.

Shortly after that trip I quit again... cold turkey. That lasted until
my mother's funeral. I made the mistake of buying a pack. Spending time
around my brothers I once again developed the habit. I kept it up for a
few months but then went cold turkey again. That was 10 years ago. I
have no cravings. I find the smell of cigarette smoke to be really
offensive. It reminds me of the congestion I used to feel when I smoked.