Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Heating some deli roast beef

On 2019-01-14 12:00 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/14/2019 11:15 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> When I was in the hospital after heart surgery the food was not all
>> horrible.Â* My first solid food was a shingle of beef. The other meals
>> were better.Â* On my last stay they kept me on clear fluids and on the
>> last morning I rebelled. The nurse found me some real food. It may
>> have tasted extra good because it was the first solid food I had had
>> in a week. My lunch that day was not bad.Â* I can't say it was better
>> than any restaurant. It was perhaps as good as some chains.
>>

> Well hey, I don't know what his parents considered good.Â* All I know is
> he said they went to a hospital cafeteria once a week for dinner.Â* I'm
> not sure if it was food quality or price.Â* Hey, it's a cafeteria.Â* I'm
> not a fan of cafeterias, in general.

There is a place in Fort Erie that people flock to, especially older
folks. The food is not bad. It's not great. It is inexpensive and they
have huge portions. It's decent home cooking. They shut down for about
two months in the winter and the day they open up there will be a lineup
at the door. My co-workers and I used to eat there often when we were
working in the area. The daily specials were a real bargain, and they
offered half orders for a couple bucks less. I used to opt for the half
order, which was more than enough for me.

> The only good cafeteria I've ever been to and actually recommended to
> others was Picadilly in Germantown, TN.Â* I'd go there for lunch with
> co-workers about once a month.

I haven't been to a cafeteria in ages. Well.... not really. A couple
months ago when my son had surgery I had some time to kill at the
hospital I went to the cafeteria and got a coffee. I don't think that
counts as a cafeteria meal. I didn't even look at the food.