Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default OT Amazon grocery buyers

On 10/21/2018 8:02 AM, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> I don't get the whole grocery delivery gimmick anyway. I don't even
>>> drive I've only ever been compelled to order 2 food items to be
>>> delivered - items that couldn't be found for at lest 800 miles.

>> My mother has started having her groceries delivered by the local
>> supermarket. I occasionally buy stuff on Amazon when I think it would
>> be too time-consuming to visit every store in the area looking for
>> exactly what I want.

> Personally, I go to only 2 stores here. Each one is only 1 mile
> away in different directions. Both have a good variety so I don't
> bother going anywhere else. Local is Food Lion and Harris Teeter.
> Also a very nice health food store only .25 miles away but I
> rarely go there. Normally only for bulk spice.
>
> BTW - "anywhere else" consists of 6-7 others store only 2 -2.5
> miles west but I don't do that. I like grocery shopping but I
> won't drive store to store to save a few pennies. My gas and my
> time is worth not doing that.

I hear that! Even though Publix and Food Lion are much farther away
than just a mile, they are practically across the street from each
other. So if one doesn't have something, the other usually will. I
don't drive all over the place looking for things. On weekends there's
a farm stand about 6 miles from my house for fresh in season local
produce.

> I can see ordering food if you are ill or travel challenged. Even
> some stores here will shop for you and deliver for a fee. That
> could be handy sometimes.

Yes, you can get grocery stores here to shop and deliver for a fee. Or
call or place an order online and you can pick it up. Delivery makes
sense if you are somehow incapacitated. It's never cheap.

I can't think of anything I can't find in a local store which requires I
order it online.

> Julie does all that....personal shopping and ordering online. I
> do not understand that other than for fun and/or convenience.

As Julie pointed out in another reply, with some services you have to
buy by the case. To me that means canned, jarred or otherwise
pre-prepared foods. I cannot think of anything I'd want to order by the
case.

Jill