Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Amazon grocery buyers

I have been buying some hard-to-find-locally groceries from Amazon. On my
latest order I see a new ~$7 'Pantry' charge. Enough is enough. Anyone know
a good on-line source for shipping such groceries? I think Google has some
on-line sale services?

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

KenK wrote:

> I have been buying some hard-to-find-locally groceries from Amazon. On my
> latest order I see a new ~$7 'Pantry' charge. Enough is enough. Anyone know
> a good on-line source for shipping such groceries? I think Google has some
> on-line sale services?

Try Walmart, they've upped their online game, and free shipping with a $35.00 order...I use them quite a bit.

I use Prime Pantry, and IIRC until recently they had "buy five items and get six bucks off shipping", they had a bunch of "qualifiying items" on this list, some months they had stuff I used and so I'd order, some months not much on offer, so I'd go elswheres...

Now under "Offers and Deals" they have this:

"FREE Shipping in Prime Pantry
Add $35 of qualifying selection below and receive FREE shipping on your order ($7.99 value). Terms & Conditions. Learn more about Prime Pantry..."

"HTH"

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"GM" > wrote in message
KenK wrote:

> I have been buying some hard-to-find-locally groceries from Amazon. On my
> latest order I see a new ~$7 'Pantry' charge. Enough is enough. Anyone
> know
> a good on-line source for shipping such groceries? I think Google has some
> on-line sale services?

Try Walmart, they've upped their online game, and free shipping with a
$35.00 order...I use them quite a bit.

I use Prime Pantry, and IIRC until recently they had "buy five items and get
six bucks off shipping", they had a bunch of "qualifiying items" on this
list, some months they had stuff I used and so I'd order, some months not
much on offer, so I'd go elswheres...

Now under "Offers and Deals" they have this:

"FREE Shipping in Prime Pantry
Add $35 of qualifying selection below and receive FREE shipping on your
order ($7.99 value). Terms & Conditions. Learn more about Prime Pantry..."

"HTH"

--
Best
Greg

=====

I have noticed with Amazon a lot of things are becoming add-ons with
spending a certain amount. They also raised their price for Prime, but they
are still worth it to me, I do a lot of shopping online.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Cheri wrote:

> "GM" > wrote in message
> KenK wrote:
>
> > I have been buying some hard-to-find-locally groceries from Amazon. On my
> > latest order I see a new ~$7 'Pantry' charge. Enough is enough. Anyone
> > know
> > a good on-line source for shipping such groceries? I think Google has some
> > on-line sale services?

> Try Walmart, they've upped their online game, and free shipping with a
> $35.00 order...I use them quite a bit.
>
> I use Prime Pantry, and IIRC until recently they had "buy five items and get
> six bucks off shipping", they had a bunch of "qualifiying items" on this
> list, some months they had stuff I used and so I'd order, some months not
> much on offer, so I'd go elswheres...
>
> Now under "Offers and Deals" they have this:
>
> "FREE Shipping in Prime Pantry
> Add $35 of qualifying selection below and receive FREE shipping on your
> order ($7.99 value). Terms & Conditions. Learn more about Prime Pantry..."
>
> "HTH"
>
> --
> Best
> Greg
>

> =====
>
> I have noticed with Amazon a lot of things are becoming add-ons with
> spending a certain amount. They also raised their price for Prime, but they
> are still worth it to me, I do a lot of shopping online.

Yup, Cheri, I've noticed that, too...they also now have a Prime Pantry monthly membership, I don't bother with that as my Prime membership is sufficient to cover my needs. And yeah, some of my staple items are now "add - ons"...

I'd say about 70% of my online shopping is Amazon Prime/Pantry/Fresh, 20+% Walmart, and the rest "miscellaneous"...

Not having a car, I don't have to lug all that stuff around, it is delivered directly to my door...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"GM" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>
>> "GM" > wrote in message
>> KenK wrote:
>>
>> > I have been buying some hard-to-find-locally groceries from Amazon. On
>> > my
>> > latest order I see a new ~$7 'Pantry' charge. Enough is enough. Anyone
>> > know
>> > a good on-line source for shipping such groceries? I think Google has
>> > some
>> > on-line sale services?

>> Try Walmart, they've upped their online game, and free shipping with a
>> $35.00 order...I use them quite a bit.
>>
>> I use Prime Pantry, and IIRC until recently they had "buy five items and
>> get
>> six bucks off shipping", they had a bunch of "qualifiying items" on this
>> list, some months they had stuff I used and so I'd order, some months not
>> much on offer, so I'd go elswheres...
>>
>> Now under "Offers and Deals" they have this:
>>
>> "FREE Shipping in Prime Pantry
>> Add $35 of qualifying selection below and receive FREE shipping on your
>> order ($7.99 value). Terms & Conditions. Learn more about Prime
>> Pantry..."
>>
>> "HTH"
>>
>> --
>> Best
>> Greg
>>

>> =====
>>
>> I have noticed with Amazon a lot of things are becoming add-ons with
>> spending a certain amount. They also raised their price for Prime, but
>> they
>> are still worth it to me, I do a lot of shopping online.

> Yup, Cheri, I've noticed that, too...they also now have a Prime Pantry
> monthly membership, I don't bother with that as my Prime membership is
> sufficient to cover my needs. And yeah, some of my staple items are now
> "add - ons"...
>
> I'd say about 70% of my online shopping is Amazon Prime/Pantry/Fresh, 20+%
> Walmart, and the rest "miscellaneous"...
>
> Not having a car, I don't have to lug all that stuff around, it is
> delivered directly to my door...
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Yes, the convenience factor is huge and the customer service at Amazong is
really wonderful, I hope they don't change as they continue to grow. I would
hate to be without internet shopping and great customer service.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
>I have been buying some hard-to-find-locally groceries from Amazon. On my
> latest order I see a new ~$7 'Pantry' charge. Enough is enough. Anyone
> know
> a good on-line source for shipping such groceries? I think Google has some
> on-line sale services?

I order food from Walmart, Target, Jet and Boxed. The problem with Boxed and
often with Jet is the amount that you have to buy. If you don't need a case
or three jars of pasta sauce, that won't work for you. Some of the stuff
from Target and Walmart are the same. If you have a red card, you get a
discount at Target.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Oct 2018 13:52:00 GMT, KenK wrote:

> I have been buying some hard-to-find-locally groceries from Amazon. On my
> latest order I see a new ~$7 'Pantry' charge. Enough is enough. Anyone know
> a good on-line source for shipping such groceries? I think Google has some
> on-line sale services?

The things you eat (and try and cook) are so basic I can't imagine
what you need that's "hard to find".

I don't get the whole grocery delivery gimmick anyway. I don't even
drive I've only ever been compelled to order 2 food items to be
delivered - items that couldn't be found for at lest 800 miles.

Speaking of which, I think I need some more Cheeze Waffies...

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 19:37:47 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

> "KenK" > wrote in message
>>I have been buying some hard-to-find-locally groceries from Amazon. On my
>> latest order I see a new ~$7 'Pantry' charge. Enough is enough. Anyone
>> know
>> a good on-line source for shipping such groceries? I think Google has some
>> on-line sale services?

> I order food from Walmart, Target, Jet and Boxed. The problem with Boxed and
> often with Jet is the amount that you have to buy. If you don't need a case
> or three jars of pasta sauce, that won't work for you. Some of the stuff
> from Target and Walmart are the same. If you have a red card, you get a
> discount at Target.

Julie is the perfect example of why I don't understand online
grocery shopping. She goes to 10 or more food stores a week and
still orders groceries from 5 different online sources. All to feed
her, her gigolo, and a dog - and never anything in least bit
"exotic".

You don't need to justify your actions, Julie. We've heard it before
and it just doesn't make any sense.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 11:01:36 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> On 20 Oct 2018 13:52:00 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
> > I have been buying some hard-to-find-locally groceries from Amazon. On my
> > latest order I see a new ~$7 'Pantry' charge. Enough is enough. Anyone know
> > a good on-line source for shipping such groceries? I think Google has some
> > on-line sale services?

> The things you eat (and try and cook) are so basic I can't imagine
> what you need that's "hard to find".
>
> I don't get the whole grocery delivery gimmick anyway. I don't even
> drive I've only ever been compelled to order 2 food items to be
> delivered - items that couldn't be found for at lest 800 miles.

My mother has started having her groceries delivered by the local
supermarket. I occasionally buy stuff on Amazon when I think it would
be too time-consuming to visit every store in the area looking for
exactly what I want.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > I don't get the whole grocery delivery gimmick anyway. I don't even
> > drive I've only ever been compelled to order 2 food items to be
> > delivered - items that couldn't be found for at lest 800 miles.

> My mother has started having her groceries delivered by the local
> supermarket. I occasionally buy stuff on Amazon when I think it would
> be too time-consuming to visit every store in the area looking for
> exactly what I want.

Personally, I go to only 2 stores here. Each one is only 1 mile
away in different directions. Both have a good variety so I don't
bother going anywhere else. Local is Food Lion and Harris Teeter.
Also a very nice health food store only .25 miles away but I
rarely go there. Normally only for bulk spice.

BTW - "anywhere else" consists of 6-7 others store only 2 -2.5
miles west but I don't do that. I like grocery shopping but I
won't drive store to store to save a few pennies. My gas and my
time is worth not doing that.
All these other stores are all concentrated at one intersection
area with many shopping centers. There they have: Walmart,
Target, Aldi, Lidl, Kroger, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Always
so busy and crowded up there so I avoid it every chance I get.

I can see ordering food if you are ill or travel challenged. Even
some stores here will shop for you and deliver for a fee. That
could be handy sometimes.

Julie does all that....personal shopping and ordering online. I
do not understand that other than for fun and/or convenience.

---------------------------
OT occasional sig:
Good thing Carol and I didn't live in Virginia Beach
when this event happened. ;o (meteor strike)
http://infinigeek.com/assets/Chesape...711.jpg?x17756
---------------------------

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 8:07:37 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Sqwertz wrote:
> > > I don't get the whole grocery delivery gimmick anyway. I don't even
> > > drive I've only ever been compelled to order 2 food items to be
> > > delivered - items that couldn't be found for at lest 800 miles.

> > My mother has started having her groceries delivered by the local
> > supermarket. I occasionally buy stuff on Amazon when I think it would
> > be too time-consuming to visit every store in the area looking for
> > exactly what I want.

> Personally, I go to only 2 stores here. Each one is only 1 mile
> away in different directions. Both have a good variety so I don't
> bother going anywhere else. Local is Food Lion and Harris Teeter.
> Also a very nice health food store only .25 miles away but I
> rarely go there. Normally only for bulk spice.

I do the bulk of my shopping at one store that is between my office
and my house. On weekends I usually drive a few miles to a somewhat
more high-end store to buy a few luxury items (Boar's Head pepperoni
is on the list for today) that I can't get at my regular venue.

I really didn't fancy calling or driving to every Asian grocery store
in town to look for a particular formulation of the Japanese condiment
furikake, so I ordered it from Amazon.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/20/2018 11:02 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On 20 Oct 2018 13:52:00 GMT, KenK wrote:

>> I have been buying some hard-to-find-locally groceries from Amazon. On my
>> latest order I see a new ~$7 'Pantry' charge. Enough is enough. Anyone know
>> a good on-line source for shipping such groceries? I think Google has some
>> on-line sale services?

> The things you eat (and try and cook) are so basic I can't imagine
> what you need that's "hard to find".
>
> I don't get the whole grocery delivery gimmick anyway. I don't even
> drive I've only ever been compelled to order 2 food items to be
> delivered - items that couldn't be found for at lest 800 miles.
>
> Speaking of which, I think I need some more Cheeze Waffies...

You must be feeling better, that's good to hear! Heh.

It's annoying when I want to order something and it's a Pantry item.
No, I don't want to join any more delivery services. I just want
that (whatever).

My local store is just getting into delivery, that's a big help to
some people but, for now, I am perfectly capable and have the time
to shop for myself.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Sqwertz wrote:
> > > I don't get the whole grocery delivery gimmick anyway. I don't
> > > even drive I've only ever been compelled to order 2 food items to
> > > be delivered - items that couldn't be found for at lest 800 miles.

> > My mother has started having her groceries delivered by the local
> > supermarket. I occasionally buy stuff on Amazon when I think it
> > would be too time-consuming to visit every store in the area
> > looking for exactly what I want.

> Personally, I go to only 2 stores here. Each one is only 1 mile
> away in different directions. Both have a good variety so I don't
> bother going anywhere else. Local is Food Lion and Harris Teeter.
> Also a very nice health food store only .25 miles away but I
> rarely go there. Normally only for bulk spice.
>
> BTW - "anywhere else" consists of 6-7 others store only 2 -2.5
> miles west but I don't do that. I like grocery shopping but I
> won't drive store to store to save a few pennies. My gas and my
> time is worth not doing that.
> All these other stores are all concentrated at one intersection
> area with many shopping centers. There they have: Walmart,
> Target, Aldi, Lidl, Kroger, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Always
> so busy and crowded up there so I avoid it every chance I get.
>
> I can see ordering food if you are ill or travel challenged. Even
> some stores here will shop for you and deliver for a fee. That
> could be handy sometimes.
>
> Julie does all that....personal shopping and ordering online. I
> do not understand that other than for fun and/or convenience.
>
> ---------------------------
> OT occasional sig:
> Good thing Carol and I didn't live in Virginia Beach
> when this event happened. ;o (meteor strike)

http://infinigeek.com/assets/Chesape...711.jpg?x17756
> ---------------------------

I'm with you Gary. We do have a bigger city and closer shopping.

I do some online bulk amazon orders but it's for things I flat out
can't lift and the price is the same (or less) or very static in needs.
25lb bags of dog food (grain free required due to wheat allergies in
the bigger dog), toilet paper, dishwasher pods, lipton tea in large
amounts. Stuff that makes sense for us.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/21/2018 8:49 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 8:07:37 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> My mother has started having her groceries delivered by the local
>>> supermarket. I occasionally buy stuff on Amazon when I think it would
>>> be too time-consuming to visit every store in the area looking for
>>> exactly what I want.

>> Personally, I go to only 2 stores here. Each one is only 1 mile
>> away in different directions. Both have a good variety so I don't
>> bother going anywhere else. Local is Food Lion and Harris Teeter.
>> Also a very nice health food store only .25 miles away but I
>> rarely go there. Normally only for bulk spice.

> I do the bulk of my shopping at one store that is between my office
> and my house. On weekends I usually drive a few miles to a somewhat
> more high-end store to buy a few luxury items (Boar's Head pepperoni
> is on the list for today) that I can't get at my regular venue.
>
> I really didn't fancy calling or driving to every Asian grocery store
> in town to look for a particular formulation of the Japanese condiment
> furikake, so I ordered it from Amazon.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Most of our shopping is a store in town. We do go to others, but only
when we want a particular item and not very often. I go to a store 2
miles from me but I'd prefer the one 18 miles away. Just not worth the
trip unless there is other reason to go that way.

There is always something that only that one store has and it makes the
trip worth while.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> There is always something that only that one store has and it makes the
> trip worth while.

This is true but only worth going to occasionally, not often as a
separate trip. When I do go to that other one, I'll also do all
my shopping there for that one trip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/21/2018 8:02 AM, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> I don't get the whole grocery delivery gimmick anyway. I don't even
>>> drive I've only ever been compelled to order 2 food items to be
>>> delivered - items that couldn't be found for at lest 800 miles.

>> My mother has started having her groceries delivered by the local
>> supermarket. I occasionally buy stuff on Amazon when I think it would
>> be too time-consuming to visit every store in the area looking for
>> exactly what I want.

> Personally, I go to only 2 stores here. Each one is only 1 mile
> away in different directions. Both have a good variety so I don't
> bother going anywhere else. Local is Food Lion and Harris Teeter.
> Also a very nice health food store only .25 miles away but I
> rarely go there. Normally only for bulk spice.
>
> BTW - "anywhere else" consists of 6-7 others store only 2 -2.5
> miles west but I don't do that. I like grocery shopping but I
> won't drive store to store to save a few pennies. My gas and my
> time is worth not doing that.

I hear that! Even though Publix and Food Lion are much farther away
than just a mile, they are practically across the street from each
other. So if one doesn't have something, the other usually will. I
don't drive all over the place looking for things. On weekends there's
a farm stand about 6 miles from my house for fresh in season local
produce.

> I can see ordering food if you are ill or travel challenged. Even
> some stores here will shop for you and deliver for a fee. That
> could be handy sometimes.

Yes, you can get grocery stores here to shop and deliver for a fee. Or
call or place an order online and you can pick it up. Delivery makes
sense if you are somehow incapacitated. It's never cheap.

I can't think of anything I can't find in a local store which requires I
order it online.

> Julie does all that....personal shopping and ordering online. I
> do not understand that other than for fun and/or convenience.

As Julie pointed out in another reply, with some services you have to
buy by the case. To me that means canned, jarred or otherwise
pre-prepared foods. I cannot think of anything I'd want to order by the
case.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-10-21 7:15 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/21/2018 8:02 AM, Gary wrote:

>> I can see ordering food if you are ill or travel challenged. Even
>> some stores here will shop for you and deliver for a fee. That
>> could be handy sometimes.
>>

> Yes, you can get grocery stores here to shop and deliver for a fee.Â* Or
> call or place an order online and you can pick it up.Â* Delivery makes
> sense if you are somehow incapacitated.Â* It's never cheap.

When my mother had to give up driving she used to order groceries and
have them delivered. It was not without its drawbacks. Whoever filled
her order was not great at picking ripe fruits and vegetables. She could
not get ice cream. There was a charge and a tip involved.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 08:53:19 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> On 10/20/2018 11:02 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Speaking of which, I think I need some more Cheeze Waffies...

> You must be feeling better, that's good to hear! Heh.

Only slightly. I can sleep about 3 hours at a time (followed by one
hour of pain). And I just cooked for the first time in week - a
pizza pie.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/21/2018 7:43 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-10-21 7:15 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 10/21/2018 8:02 AM, Gary wrote:

>>> I can see ordering food if you are ill or travel challenged. Even
>>> some stores here will shop for you and deliver for a fee. That
>>> could be handy sometimes.
>>>

>> Yes, you can get grocery stores here to shop and deliver for a fee.
>> Or call or place an order online and you can pick it up.Â* Delivery
>> makes sense if you are somehow incapacitated.Â* It's never cheap.

> When my mother had to give up driving she used to order groceries and
> have them delivered.Â* It was not without its drawbacks.Â* Whoever filled
> her order was not great at picking ripe fruits and vegetables. She could
> not get ice cream.Â* There was a charge and a tip involved.

Had I not been here for my parents I'm not sure what my mother would
have done about groceries. She was still driving but worried about
leaving Dad home alone (Alzheimers). I really don't know if there was a
grocery store around here that would have delivered in 2007. Then
again, it probably wouldn't have occurred to her to ask. It certainly
didn't occur to me. Mom turned over the shopping and the driving to me.
I didn't mind.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 jmcquown < wrote:
>On 10/21/2018 8:02 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> My mother has started having her groceries delivered by the local
>>> supermarket. I occasionally buy stuff on Amazon when I think it would
>>> be too time-consuming to visit every store in the area looking for
>>> exactly what I want.

>> Personally, I go to only 2 stores here. Each one is only 1 mile
>> away in different directions. Both have a good variety so I don't
>> bother going anywhere else. Local is Food Lion and Harris Teeter.
>> Also a very nice health food store only .25 miles away but I
>> rarely go there. Normally only for bulk spice.
>>
>> BTW - "anywhere else" consists of 6-7 others store only 2 -2.5
>> miles west but I don't do that. I like grocery shopping but I
>> won't drive store to store to save a few pennies. My gas and my
>> time is worth not doing that.

>I hear that! Even though Publix and Food Lion are much farther away
>than just a mile, they are practically across the street from each
>other. So if one doesn't have something, the other usually will. I
>don't drive all over the place looking for things. On weekends there's
>a farm stand about 6 miles from my house for fresh in season local
>produce.
>
>> I can see ordering food if you are ill or travel challenged. Even
>> some stores here will shop for you and deliver for a fee. That
>> could be handy sometimes.
>>

>Yes, you can get grocery stores here to shop and deliver for a fee. Or
>call or place an order online and you can pick it up. Delivery makes
>sense if you are somehow incapacitated. It's never cheap.
>
>I can't think of anything I can't find in a local store which requires I
>order it online.
>
>> Julie does all that....personal shopping and ordering online. I
>> do not understand that other than for fun and/or convenience.
>>

>As Julie pointed out in another reply, with some services you have to
>buy by the case. To me that means canned, jarred or otherwise
>pre-prepared foods. I cannot think of anything I'd want to order by the
>case.

There are several groceries I buy on line especially from
Amazon that I can't buy locally and/or at a lower price. Right off
the top Amazon beats everyone for OTC drugs and for toiletries. There
are many condiments that Amazon carries that I can't buy elsewhere
and/or at a lower price, like my favorite mustards and Amazon beats
most everyone for spices, especially in large restaurant sizes... I
recently bought white peppercorns at half the price of Penzys or any
other on line spice purveyer. Amazon has the lowest prices for
shampoos, aftershave, razor blades and most anything else in the
toiletries catagory. I also buy many canned goods by the half case
from Amazon. Everyone needs batteries, Amazon beats them all. Why
bother driving to Lowe's when Amazon will give you all the screws
you want at lower prices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/21/2018 7:51 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 08:53:19 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> On 10/20/2018 11:02 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> Speaking of which, I think I need some more Cheeze Waffies...

>> You must be feeling better, that's good to hear! Heh.

> Only slightly. I can sleep about 3 hours at a time (followed by one
> hour of pain).

I'm sorry. It didn't sound like something that would go away
overnight. Bummer.

? And I just cooked for the first time in week - a
> pizza pie.

You're way more ambitious than I am, when I don't feel well it's
large doses of Costco chicken noodle or something.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/21/2018 8:03 PM, wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 jmcquown < wrote:

>>> Personally, I go to only 2 stores here. Each one is only 1 mile
>>> away in different directions. Both have a good variety so I don't
>>> bother going anywhere else. Local is Food Lion and Harris Teeter.
>>> Also a very nice health food store only .25 miles away but I
>>> rarely go there. Normally only for bulk spice.
>>>
>>> BTW - "anywhere else" consists of 6-7 others store only 2 -2.5
>>> miles west but I don't do that. I like grocery shopping but I
>>> won't drive store to store to save a few pennies. My gas and my
>>> time is worth not doing that.

>> I hear that! Even though Publix and Food Lion are much farther away
>> than just a mile, they are practically across the street from each
>> other. So if one doesn't have something, the other usually will. I
>> don't drive all over the place looking for things. On weekends there's
>> a farm stand about 6 miles from my house for fresh in season local
>> produce.
>>
>>> I can see ordering food if you are ill or travel challenged. Even
>>> some stores here will shop for you and deliver for a fee. That
>>> could be handy sometimes.
>>>

>> Yes, you can get grocery stores here to shop and deliver for a fee. Or
>> call or place an order online and you can pick it up. Delivery makes
>> sense if you are somehow incapacitated. It's never cheap.
>>
>> I can't think of anything I can't find in a local store which requires I
>> order it online.
>>
>>> Julie does all that....personal shopping and ordering online. I
>>> do not understand that other than for fun and/or convenience.
>>>

>> As Julie pointed out in another reply, with some services you have to
>> buy by the case. To me that means canned, jarred or otherwise
>> pre-prepared foods. I cannot think of anything I'd want to order by the
>> case.

> There are several groceries I buy on line especially from
> Amazon that I can't buy locally and/or at a lower price. Right off
> the top Amazon beats everyone for OTC drugs and for toiletries. There
> are many condiments that Amazon carries that I can't buy elsewhere
> and/or at a lower price, like my favorite mustards and Amazon beats
> most everyone for spices, especially in large restaurant sizes... I
> recently bought white peppercorns at half the price of Penzys or any
> other on line spice purveyer. Amazon has the lowest prices for
> shampoos, aftershave, razor blades and most anything else in the
> toiletries catagory. I also buy many canned goods by the half case
> from Amazon. Everyone needs batteries, Amazon beats them all. Why
> bother driving to Lowe's when Amazon will give you all the screws
> you want at lower prices.

Thank you, Mr. Amazon Prime promoter. LOL I'm sure that's helpful to
the OP if he wants to order your favorite mustard, peppercorns or
toiletries. In "restaurant sizes".

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/21/2018 8:03 PM, wrote:

>>> I hear that! Even though Publix and Food Lion are much farther away
>>> than just a mile, they are practically across the street from each
>>> other. So if one doesn't have something, the other usually will. I
>>> don't drive all over the place looking for things. On weekends there's
>>> a farm stand about 6 miles from my house for fresh in season local
>>> produce.

>>> Yes, you can get grocery stores here to shop and deliver for a fee. Or
>>> call or place an order online and you can pick it up. Delivery makes
>>> sense if you are somehow incapacitated. It's never cheap.
>>>
>>> I can't think of anything I can't find in a local store which requires I
>>> order it online.

>>> As Julie pointed out in another reply, with some services you have to
>>> buy by the case. To me that means canned, jarred or otherwise
>>> pre-prepared foods. I cannot think of anything I'd want to order by the
>>> case.

>> There are several groceries I buy on line especially from
>> Amazon that I can't buy locally and/or at a lower price. Right off
>> the top Amazon beats everyone for OTC drugs and for toiletries. There
>> are many condiments that Amazon carries that I can't buy elsewhere
>> and/or at a lower price, like my favorite mustards and Amazon beats
>> most everyone for spices, especially in large restaurant sizes... I
>> recently bought white peppercorns at half the price of Penzys or any
>> other on line spice purveyer. Amazon has the lowest prices for
>> shampoos, aftershave, razor blades and most anything else in the
>> toiletries catagory. I also buy many canned goods by the half case
>> from Amazon. Everyone needs batteries, Amazon beats them all. Why
>> bother driving to Lowe's when Amazon will give you all the screws
>> you want at lower prices.
>>

> Thank you, Mr. Amazon Prime promoter. LOL I'm sure that's helpful to
> the OP if he wants to order your favorite mustard, peppercorns or
> toiletries. In "restaurant sizes".
>
> Jill

Popeye is just in it for the screws.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 20:23:20 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> On 10/21/2018 7:51 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> You must be feeling better, that's good to hear! Heh.

>> Only slightly. I can sleep about 3 hours at a time (followed by one
>> hour of pain).

> I'm sorry. It didn't sound like something that would go away
> overnight. Bummer.
>
> ? And I just cooked for the first time in week - a
>> pizza pie.

> You're way more ambitious than I am, when I don't feel well it's
> large doses of Costco chicken noodle or something.

I've been eating prepared food from the freezer and pantry all week.
I never buy frozen breakfast items but the Jimmy Dean Double Sausage
Meat Lovers McMuffins for $1.20/each are actually pretty good
($4.76/4-pack)

https://www.jimmydean.com/products/s...fin-sandwiches

And Homestyle Chicken Noodle soups were 3 for $1 last week so I
picked up a case. 1/3rd the price of Campbells and better.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h...e-soup/1587423

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 10/21/2018 8:02 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Personally, I go to only 2 stores here. Each one is only 1 mile
> > away in different directions. Both have a good variety so I don't
> > bother going anywhere else. Local is Food Lion and Harris Teeter.

> I hear that! Even though Publix and Food Lion are much farther away
> than just a mile, they are practically across the street from each
> other. So if one doesn't have something, the other usually will. I
> don't drive all over the place looking for things.

I hear you too, Jill. I grocery shop early maybe once or twice a
week. More like once a week lately. If one of the 2 stores has
something that I really want, I'll just shop there that week for
everything. Next week I might shop at the other one.

The weekly sale ads in the Wednesday newspaper often determines
where I go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/22/2018 8:53 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> On 10/21/2018 8:02 AM, Gary wrote:
>>> Personally, I go to only 2 stores here. Each one is only 1 mile
>>> away in different directions. Both have a good variety so I don't
>>> bother going anywhere else. Local is Food Lion and Harris Teeter.

>> I hear that! Even though Publix and Food Lion are much farther away
>> than just a mile, they are practically across the street from each
>> other. So if one doesn't have something, the other usually will. I
>> don't drive all over the place looking for things.

> I hear you too, Jill. I grocery shop early maybe once or twice a
> week. More like once a week lately. If one of the 2 stores has
> something that I really want, I'll just shop there that week for
> everything. Next week I might shop at the other one.
>
> The weekly sale ads in the Wednesday newspaper often determines
> where I go.

I check the weekly ads, mainly to see what meats are on sale.

I can understand buying groceries online might be helpful (same with
grocery delivery from a store) for people who are, for whatever reason,
unable to get to the store. Buying food online is just not something I
think about. There's very little I can't find between the two grocery
stores I mentioned. Then again, I don't cook anything very exotic.

Then there's the comment Julie made about having to buy a case of
whatever. I can't think of a single reason I'd need or want to do that.

I wish I knew what mysterious food KenK can't find in the store that he
has to order from Amazon.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 jmcquown wrote:

>I can understand buying groceries online might be helpful (same with
>grocery delivery from a store) for people who are, for whatever reason,
>unable to get to the store. Buying food online is just not something I
>think about. There's very little I can't find between the two grocery
>stores I mentioned. Then again, I don't cook anything very exotic.
>
>Then there's the comment Julie made about having to buy a case of
>whatever. I can't think of a single reason I'd need or want to do that.
>
>I wish I knew what mysterious food KenK can't find in the store that he
>has to order from Amazon.

I order a lot of food items from Amazon like particular brands of
sardines I can't find locally. I also buy several condiments that
aren't sold locally, like mustards and Oriental sauces. Lately I've
been buying spices from Amazon, much better prices than Penzeys and/or
local markets. Perhaps by buying by the case Julie means a mini-case,
Amazon sells a lot of food by the 6 pack/12 pack... I buy my favorite
mustards in those multi packs.
As far as ordering food I don't mind having canned goods delivered but
for meats, produce, and other perishables I need to squeeze and sniff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-10-22 11:22 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I wish I knew what mysterious food KenK can't find in the store that he
> has to order from Amazon.

You should find out so that you will be able to help him when he has to
try to open the packages and then again he has to cook the stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I get my groceries delivered because mobility issues have progressed to the point where I cannot walk
into a grocery store, shop, bring the groceries home, and carry them upstairs from the garage in
my split foyer (split level) house. If I spend $100, delivery is free. If I am buying light items like TP,
or other similar items, I can turn in an online order and pick them up in the drive-thru lane. I cannot
carry upstairs a 24-bottle case of water any more; it's just too heavy. It is worth a $4.95 delivery fee
(if my order is under $100), to have the young, courteous, delivery guys carry this heavy stuff up
the stairs. I usually buy 2 cases of water, and 2 gallons of distilled water for my coffee maker, in the
same order. The delivery guys make short work of carrying everything right into my kitchen. For 2
cases, I usually tip $10; $5 for one case delivered with the rest of my order. I love my supermarket
service; I would be lost without it.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/2018 1:25 PM, Nancy2 wrote:

> I usually buy 2 cases of water, and 2 gallons of distilled water for my coffee maker, in the
> same order. The delivery guys make short work of carrying everything right into my kitchen. For 2
> cases, I usually tip $10; $5 for one case delivered with the rest of my order. I love my supermarket
> service; I would be lost without it.
>
> N.

Have you ever considered getting a filter? Easier than hauling and
storing water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 10:25:46 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>I get my groceries delivered because mobility issues have progressed to the point where I cannot walk
>into a grocery store, shop, bring the groceries home, and carry them upstairs from the garage in
>my split foyer (split level) house. If I spend $100, delivery is free. If I am buying light items like TP,
>or other similar items, I can turn in an online order and pick them up in the drive-thru lane. I cannot
>carry upstairs a 24-bottle case of water any more; it's just too heavy. It is worth a $4.95 delivery fee
>(if my order is under $100), to have the young, courteous, delivery guys carry this heavy stuff up
>the stairs. I usually buy 2 cases of water, and 2 gallons of distilled water for my coffee maker, in the
>same order. The delivery guys make short work of carrying everything right into my kitchen. For 2
>cases, I usually tip $10; $5 for one case delivered with the rest of my order. I love my supermarket
>service; I would be lost without it.
>
>N.

Why are you buying so much bottled water? I installed an RO filter
and get much better than bottled water delivered at my kitchen sink. I
used to buy a lot of distilled water for my humidifier but RO filtered
water is as close as it gets to distilled and costs about 5¢/gallon.
And you have to get rid of all those plastic bottles. And not only was
buying distilled water in quantity getting expensive most times the
stores didn't stock enough for my needs. My RO set up can produce 8
gallons per day, more than enough for my humidifier, coffeemaker,
cooking needs, and drinking water.

FROM TRUSTED MANUFACTURERS TOP QUALITY REGULAR SUPPLIES OFQUALITY PHARMACEUTICAL MEDICATIONS AND OTHER DRUGS AT VERY AFFORDABLEPRICES. WE DO OFFER DISCRETE OVERNIGHT SHIPMENTS TO BUYERS IN USA ANDCANADA AND 48-72 HOURS DELIVERY TO BUYERS IN EUROPE AN Dr Jethro[_2_] General Cooking 0 16-10-2016 05:18 PM
FROM TRUSTED MANUFACTURERS TOP QUALITY REGULAR SUPPLIES OFQUALITY PHARMACEUTICAL MEDICATIONS AND OTHER DRUGS AT VERY AFFORDABLEPRICES. WE DO OFFER DISCRETE OVERNIGHT SHIPMENTS TO BUYERS IN USA ANDCANADA AND 48-72 HOURS DELIVERY TO BUYERS IN EUROPE AN Dr Jethro[_2_] Marketplace 0 16-10-2016 05:18 PM
Score One For Buyers Who Notice [email protected] Wine 2 27-12-2007 07:40 PM
Amazon Grocery -L. General Cooking 4 18-07-2006 11:59 PM
Prices for truffle buyers Dee Randall General Cooking 5 21-10-2005 04:00 PM