Peter Aitken

Default Boiled eggs?

"Gtwy4cb" > wrote in message
> >Try boiling them for less time.

> You DON'T boil them!! Start eggs in cold water and when water boils, cover

and
> let stand for 25 minutes--run under cold water for about five

minuites--the
> shells will come off easily and there will be no green ring around the

yolk.

That is the way I cook eggs but it is no guarantee against the green ring.
You can also boil eggs and be ring-free. The ring is caused by sulfur
compounds in the white reacting with the yolk and causing the color change.
I had heard that the ring is caused by boiling too long or by not cooling
the eggs quickly, but I now think that other things are involved as well. I
have had batches of same-size eggs from the same carton that were boiled
together and cooled together and a few had the ring while most did not.

--
Peter Aitken