Posted to rec.food.preserving
songbird songbird is offline

Default I'm now in the game

notbob wrote:
> How do I know if the process is OK if the added vinegar is only "5%"
> acidic. Ball Blue Book sez the food must be below "4.6%" acidic. to
> qualify fer "high acid" food ....and thus requiring only a "hot water
> bath". Do I need some "ph test strips"?

i've never bothered, i usually make the
mix somewhat stronger than 2 cups of water to
1 cup of vinegar. figure that the beets will
soak some of it up. i actually do it by taste.

noway have i ever used full strength vinegar
alone.

as for BWB, we've been oven canning (Mom has
done it this way her whole life - she won't
change). i'm careful and have only a few lids
come off (budget ones - never had any problem with
the Ball lids).

songbird