Posted to rec.food.preserving
notbob notbob is offline

Default I'm now in the game

On 10/14/2018 9:33 PM, songbird wrote:

> i cube them about 1-2cm, smaller will bleed all
> the color out. which is ok if you keep the juice
> you cook them in.

What else would I do with the "juice"?

> no pressure cooking needed for sufficiently acidic
> foods as long as you observe proper food prep and
> don't mess up the seals.

The more I learn, the more I realize I know zip!

I usta operate a huge steam "retort" that did no. 10 cans. Turns out I
knew almost nothing about my operation. Jes "keep it this hot for this
long".

Apparently, my 5 qt Kuhn-Rikon is not big enough, even for 1 pt jars
"hot water bath" (need at least 1 inch of water above lids). Half pint
jars, yes.

Looks like I'll hafta wait until my next SSN check to buy a big enough
canner (and some "canning salt", mag lid lifter, Ove Glove, etc).

How do I know if the process is OK if the added vinegar is only "5%"
acidic. Ball Blue Book sez the food must be below "4.6%" acidic. to
qualify fer "high acid" food ....and thus requiring only a "hot water
bath". Do I need some "ph test strips"?

nb