View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN"Mostly 80s Medoc at Sutton Inn in NYC

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 9:37:17 PM UTC+2, DaleW wrote:
> Ian was visiting from London and Ramon organized a group to celebrate his visit. Jim and JC arranged dinner at Sutton Inn, an improvised tasting menu by ordering 4 orders of various mains for the 8 os us- worked great, and restaurant did a good job.
>
> We started with the 2006 Phillponnat La Leon Blanc de Noirs. Full, ripe but balanced, citrus zest and pit fruits, pretty sure I wouldnt have guessed 100% PN but enjoyed. B+
>
> With heirloom tomato salad with a corn milk sauce and tapioca puffs
>
> 2004 Laville Haut-Brion Blanc
> Really tight at first, but deep. I wrote down B+/B but revisited later and it was a different beast, delicious,heading toward excellent.
>
> 2005 Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc
> Oak, thick, a little hot. C+/B-
>
> Really nice charcuterie plate, I surprised myself by especially loving the mortadella
>
> 1982 Figeac
> Jim who brought was worried, and at first there was a kind of pruney note, but it transformed into something that seemed more representative of that Figeac CF-ishness. Herby, leafy, red fruits, earth. B+/B
>
> 1982 Lafon Rochet
> A bit workman like, ok but without any 82 glamor. B-
>
> 1982 Leoville Barton
> Corked, alas.
>
> Gnocchi, I thought it was to have a mushroom sauce, but more tomato (or sun dried tomato). Hard match, but the wines pulled through
>
> 1985 Leoville las Cases
> Divisive wine, some really liked , I thought somewhat sturdy/blocky. Might have been better with a steak. B
>
> 1985 Rausan Segla
> Lovely, elegant,red fruits and sandalwood. Ive always thought 86 RS was highpoint of the chateau, followed by the 83, but this is maybe my new fave. A-
>
> 1985 Gruaud Larose
> Most wines were doubledecanted in advance, this was opened by JC as a backup (not sure for what!). Took a while to open up, but classic brawny/earthy GL with some tobacco notes. B+
>
> My favorite course of the night, duck breast with a orange/ginger sauce/puree (deconstructed duck lorange someone said- but a better red match)
>
> 1983 Ch. Marguax
> Big brooding beast, sure will be fantastic, not a load of fun right now. B
>
> 1983 Chateau Rauzan Segla,
> A bit reticent compared to other bottles Ive had, but still lovely with power and grace. B+/A-
>
> 1983 Leoville Poyferre
> (cork broke and fell in during double decant, so in a Juge bottle)
> Brawny for LP, cassis and gunflint, needs time. B/B+ for now
>
> 1983 Pichon Lalande
> Cassis and black raspberry, green tobacco leaf, balanced and long, A-
>
> Dry aged steak, snap peas, excellent potatoes
>
> 1986 Ducru-Beaucaillou
> Corked
>
> 1986 Gruaud Larose
> I always love this wine, but an especially giving bottle. POwerful, complex, dark fruits with earth and cigarbox, just a hint of Cordier funk. A-/A
>
>
> 1986 Chateau Ducru-Beaucaillou,
> Corked.
>
> Some had baked Alaska
>
> 1988 Climens
> Usual orange marmalade/zest, good color, but shorter than other bottles Ive had. B-/B
>
> 1988 Ch. DYquem (375)
> Deep, long., classic. A-/B+
>
> Really fun night.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

A slow night Dale? :-)

Would that be Ian Hoare?

cheers

Mike T