Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default First Pick

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>penmart wrote:
>
>>Pickling cukes, green and yellow zukes:
>>https://postimg.cc/image/r5sh998vr/
>>This is only the beginning, lots more comming.

>Nice.
>I've got about a dozen zucchini waiting the fridge. Today I will
>shred them all and pack in 2 cup portions and freeze. 2 cups is what
>all my zucchini baked goods recipes use.
>I am not seeing any bees this year. I am having to hand pollinate the
>zucchini. The cucumbers female blossoms are dropping, unpollinated.
>Normally I have lots of bees.
>Janet US

Could be the weather, sometimes the blossoming doesn't coinside with
pollinator emergence. Last year my fruit trees bloomed during an
early warm spell and then a frost made them all drop before the
pollenators arrived. This year the weather cooperated so I'll have a
large apple and plum crop. There are so many apples that I'll need to
pick off every other one or their weight will break the branches.
That's what they do in the orchards and that also yields larger fruit.
Unlike fruit trees zuchinni will continue setting blossoms so
eventually your pollenators will arrive. Harvest when small and they
will keep producing, you'll actually get a lot more by weight.
Every Oriental long bean seed germinated, all 20, I'm curious to see
how they produce, this is the first time I've planted them. They are
already climbing on the trellises I provided, I'm expecting a huge
crop, I'll probably need to freeze most. Only a very few Chinese
restaurants serve long beans so whenever I see them on the menu I
order them.
Amazon sells the seeds.
http://www.tinyurbankitchen.com/stir...ng-beans-with/