Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default "How Ketchup Revolutionized How Food Is Grown, Processed and Regulated"

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 08:17:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/12/2018 8:02 AM, Bruce wrote:

Ketchup is actually an Oriental condiment only originally they had no
tomatoes but they used several different recipes.

I've wondered if that poll is not a skewed Mexican conspiracy taken in
the TexMex border towns because the fast food burger and fries joints
in the US don't serve salsa, but they sure serve a giant super tanker
load of ketchup.
I've tried it and I don't like salsa on a burger and especially not on
fries. I like salsa but on corn chips/nachos. I've only seen salsa
served at a Mexican restaurant. Next yoose at the market compare the
salsa display to the ketchup display, no comparison... salsa takes up
a couple three feet of shelf at most, ketchup takes up at least 1/4 of
an aisle with all the brands and sizes. And besides the national
brands a lot of store brand ketchup is sold, I've not seen store brand
salsa, perhaps in the southwest markets. A tiny jar of salsa costs
more than a giant economy size of Heinz red. I rarely have salsa at
home but I always have ketchup in the fridge. I rarely buy salsa but
during tomato season I prepare my own, far better than the popular
commercial brands. I remember when I lived in So Cal I'd see gallon
jugs of salsa in the market fridge and I once bought a jug, it was
watery and tasteless.

>>> Pace and Tostito's do not.

>> Tostitos Chunky Salsa: 2g per 33g
>> Pace Salsa: 1g per 30ml
>> Heinz Tomato Ketchup Salsa: 4g per 17g
>>

>Not listed as an added ingredient

I don't think they need to when it's less than 1%.