Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

:

>> On 11 Jun 2018 13:48:54 GMT, KenK wrote:
>>
>>> Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
>>> opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid
>>> the can tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other
>>> hand. Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can
>>> put the can in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make
>>> such a device?

>> Other than SPAM, Chefboyardee, and potted meat, just buy traditional
>> cans without pull tabs and use an electric can opener. All your
>> problems are solved!
>>
>> -sw

>I'll have to look more carefully. Seems like most foods come in tab cans
>with rimless bottoms. I'll evidently have to look closer.

Any can opener will work on the tab top, just don't pull the tab
first. I use my Swing-A-Way on some pet food cans that have a tab top
because the opener cuts closer to the can side and leaves no rim so
it's easier to remove the pet food more neatly. I've no idea why some
pull tab cans don't remove the *entire* lid and leave about a 1/16"
rim... nasty engineering. I've had a lot of experience with MEs, most
are too dumb to tie their own shoes... just because someone has a
mechanical engineering degree doesn't mean they have any practical
experience... most can't hammer a nail without smashing their thumb...
I've met plenty who have trouble with thumbtacks. Never allow an ME
to sharpen your knife, it will ALWAYS end up duller. I've actually
met MEs who can't butter their bread, they literally need their
mommyto do it. You know all those space contraptions at NASA, they're
designed and built by toolmakers. In all my years I've yet to meet an
ME who can single point a thread, let's not tell them about single
pointing L H internal threads.
Any engineer who can't make what they doodle on paper needs firing,
and that would be 98%