Peter Muto

wrote on 09/13/04 2:18 AM:

> > Randell Tarin > wrote in message
> >> My wife and I have several bottles of 1997 Brunello di Montelcino that we
> >> picked up after a trip to Italy several years ago. Our absolute favorite
> >> wine!
> >>
> >> My question is, if properly stored, how well does this keep OR do we need to
> >> drink it now? Since it's such a precious commodity, I hate to squander it
> >> on anything but a special occasion.
> >>
> >> Some Brunellos seem to do better than others. We had two bottles of an 86,
> >> one we drank in 2000, the other last year. The former was impeccable in
> >> body and in taste. The latter, while drinkable, lost much of it's character
> >> by holding on to it a little longer.
> >>
> >> Anyone had any experience with the 1997.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Randell Tarin

> > Hold for three to five years.

> From 1997 or from now?

With regard to the two 1986 bottles you had, if different producers,
different sources (and hence storage conditions/provenance) the
experience can vary dramatically with a mature wine.
As for 1997, it depends more on the producer (their quality and style)
than anything.
I opened my 1st of 12 bottles of the regular Col d'Orcia and it was
ready. I kind of wish I had opened one earler so I could have seen
more of the life or evolution of the wine but I would already call the
wine mature.
If you have a Risvera bottling, most are probably not going to be
ready for about another 3-5 years or so.
The biggest factor in the end is your palate. Mature wine is
definitely an acquired taste; I always try (sometimes unsuccessfully)
to err on the side of too soon rather than too late.

Peter