JMF

Default Sacher torte - Hotel or Franz?

Wait - this is so amazing I want to be sure I understood correctly: are you
saying that the Sacher Torte does NOT originate at the Hotel Sacher, but
rather originates from a chef named Franz Sacher who was completely
unconnected with the Hotel Sacher?

If so, then how did the Hotel Sacher managed to make everybody think it
originated there?

John

"H. W. Hans Kuntze" > wrote in message
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady wrote:

>(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Sat, 18
>Oct 2003 14:42:31 -0700, during the rec.food.baking Community News
>Flash "H. W. Hans Kuntze" > reported:

Sachertorte – Sacher Torte is a famous Viennese cake, probably the most
famous chocolate cake of all-time. It consists of chocolate sponge cake
cut into three layers (not at the Hotel Sacher), between which apricot
jam (or raspberry jam at Demel) are thickly spread between the layers
and on the top and sides of the cake. The whole cake is then iced with a
dark Ganache and served with a side dish of whipped cream.

History: Was created by Chef Franz Sacher at the beginning in 1832 for
Prince Clemens Lothar Wensel Metternich (1773-1859) of Austria.