Aaron Puhala

There are two main parts to delestage fermentation, exportation of seeds and
macro-oxidation. I have 4 primary fermentors with bottom drains that allow
me to do delestage fermentation (or just rack-and-return without seed
deportation) if I want (good summary of
delestage:http://www.vwm-online.com/Magazine/A.../Delestage.htm).
My main reason for having the ability to drain my fermentors is so I can
practice rack-and-return with macro-oxidation but delestage is also
possible. Exporting the seeds is most beneficial when your grapes are in a
less than optimally ripe condition because the tannins are very green and
can have a negative impact on the wine quality. With ripe fruit, however,
the seed tannins are more developed and can add complexity and body to the
wine especially if macro-oxidation and extended maceration are done.

CHEERS!

Aaron