The Joneses

Kathi wrote:

> > Adding the sugar and boiling for hours will concentrate the flavors, but
> > it will drive off any aroma and subtle flavor notes. Quick jelly made
> > with added pectin will be less concentrated juice but won't be cooked as
> > much. A good compromise might be using the long-boil-no-pectin method,
> > but do small batches and cook them in a non-stick wok over very high
> > heat -- so the jelly cooks up in just a few minutes.
> > I like berry jams and jellies better when they are made with added
> > pectin. When they are cooked for hours, they don't taste like much
> > anymore except sweet, sour, and purple. I don't really have an opinion
> > on apple jellies yet cuz I don't have enough experience with them.
> > Bob

> I curious to see how your experiment turns out. I did pretty much the
> same thing to get the juice from my crabapples. But the juice is high
> in natural pectin (was jelling outside the jelly bag), so I'm not sure
> yet how I will proceed. I too, prefer the quick cook, added pectin
> taste, but I'm afraid that if I add pectin to something that already
> has lots of it, I'll end up with sweet crabapple tasting cement.
> However, I don't want to long cook, because it will change the taste
> and colour. So it's all frozen for now, 'cause I'm not sure what to
> do next.
> So let me/us know how it turns out. Perhaps I'll learn from your
> mistakes, er, success ;-)
> Kathi

I found that the high pectin quinces when juiced with the seeds, etc. jell up very
quickly with no added pectin. The boil time was about 12 minutes. I did boil on high,
stirring constantly and never missed a lick. Even with pectin ya gotta boil it some, and
this wasn't hours by a long shot. The taste was still great.
Edrena