Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default What is a fried bologna sandwich?

U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
> couple of those food shows.
> Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
> from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
> what condiments? Anybody?
> Janet US

A million versions but here are some of mine in college when I was
working my way through on my own and didn't want huge student loans.

The meats varied but normally it was a thick presliced chicken and beef
mixed (I think it's Gwaltneys that sells something like it now? Red
plastic outer wrapper you have to peel off?).

Cut slices into the rim, about 1/4 way through so it stays flatter.
I'd put it in a teflon stick-free pan then add a topper screen as it
tends to splatter a bit. Once the edges look a bit crusty, flip over
and mash down a bit and get the other side a bit crusty.

Toast slathered with Mayo and most of the time, mixed with horseradish
powder (dirt cheap even then). Lettuce if I had it*. Cheese when I
had some though I might have only enough to strip cut 1/2 a slice so
you got some every other bite. A little very thin sliced raw onion*.

Another way was to add Russian red dressing or Catalina to the pan and
cook it in that.

* I worked at fast food places mostly those years and they were very
kind about letting us take home small amounts of produce that were
still safe but didnt look pretty enough anymore for the salad bar or
sandwiches. At Wendys, I did morning prep of the veggies on weekends
then worked the lunch crowd. The owner didn't like seeing any good
food go to waste so there was a sort of rack with bins back in the
kitchen and if the outer leaves of a lettuce couldn't be used without
too much time (time is money) then they went in a bin as long as they
had trimmable parts that were healthy. If the outer layer of an onion
was bad, we'd pull that off but if there was a browning bit more than
one layer deep, it went in the bin. Food safety rules also required
disposing of any tomatoes if there was a single spot bad so if it was
very minor and could be trimmed off, they went in a bin. On a very
*rare* occasion, a block of sliced cheese would have a split in the
plastic and develop mold. The entire block, no matter how minor, had
to be removed from serving, even if only 2 slices of a 10lb block were
involved (it had a special bin in the fridge with a sign on the other
one). Anything truely unsafe was discarded immediately so, no meats and
things like that. Come closing, anything not selected from the
'leftover bin' was tossed and the bins were re-cleaned. The rules have
probably changed since then, but at the time, it was a happy little
side perk to a minimum wage job.