Old 19-01-2017, 08:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is a fried bologna sandwich?

This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
couple of those food shows.
Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
what condiments? Anybody?
Janet US

Old 19-01-2017, 08:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-19 1:09 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
couple of those food shows.
Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
what condiments? Anybody?
Janet US

Sounds like a bunch of baloney:-)
Old 19-01-2017, 09:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
couple of those food shows.
Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
what condiments? Anybody?
Janet US

There's no exact recipe as there are infinite variations, only thing
consistant is thick sliced balogna (~1/4"). Don't forget to cut slits
around the perimeter or the bologna slices will curl up like a bowl.
Some like to add cheese, I don't... if anything I prefer to add a
beaten egg. I think it works best with kosher bologna, actually I
much prefer a fried salami sandwich; fried kosher salami on an onion
roll from a Jewish bakery (onion kuchen), w/spicey brown deli mustard,
and a bowlful of half sour pickles, with a Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Tonic.
Usta be a thousand+ kosher delis in Brooklyn, now maybe 4-5, and not
the real deal. There's really no real kosher bologna/salami
anymore... Hebrew National is fake kosher, was always fake kosher.
http://www.food.com/recipe/fried-bol...andwich-133272
http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=fr...yword_rollover
Old 19-01-2017, 09:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

It is something that is super popular at a certain NASCAR race...can't remember
which one it is, for sure, but it is a southern thang.....maybe the one in Charlotte,
but I think I am probably wrong.

Anyway, yes, that is exactly what you describe...it is served
with ketchup, for sure. I am not positive about the other things they put on it.

Google fried baloney (I think that is a better spelling for this than the
proper spelling) and NASCAR race together, and see what pops up. It might be Darlington.....

N.
Old 19-01-2017, 09:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 3:09:41 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
couple of those food shows.
Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
what condiments? Anybody?
Janet US

Not on a bun, although that might be tasty.

Ketchup as its condiment. ISTR mom cooking the ketchup
with the bologna, although it's been ages and the details
elude me. I also seem to remember fried onions with it.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 19-01-2017, 09:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 16:27:28 -0500, Brooklyn1
wrote:

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

[...]

I know what you mean about butcher shop made bologna. My home town
makes it (ring bologna only) but there is absolutely no comparison to
store bologna, wieners, hot dogs. I miss it. Mom used to put the
whole ring in a pie pan into the oven to heat it. When you cut into
it, it split and juices poured out.
Janet US
Old 19-01-2017, 09:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:30:00 GMT, "l not -l" wrote:

On 19-Jan-2017, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
couple of those food shows.
Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
what condiments? Anybody?
Janet US

I haven't had one since about 1959; but, when I had them, they were a thick
slice of bologna (maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch), pan-fried and served on white
bread or saltines. Mustard was the only condiment I recall seeing anyone
use; it was certainly my choice. Saltines were useable back then because
the came four squares attached in a larger, perforated square. It could be
broken into 4 crackers the size of today's saltine or left whole to make a
sandwich.

B'loney sandwiches and soda pop were big sellers at my grandfather's country
store, when the farmers came in with money, they'd splurge on that treat.
Even after my grandfather had a griddle and could make hamburgers, b'loney
sandwiches were more popular. But, many wanted the b'loney fried. Few of
them, but a couple, didn't have the nerve to add a treat when they came in
looking to buy on credit.

I'd forgotten that saltines used to come 4x4. They made a good cheese
sandwich with brown mustard
thanks for the sandwich info
Janet US
Old 19-01-2017, 09:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 13:46:30 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 3:09:41 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
couple of those food shows.
Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
what condiments? Anybody?
Janet US

Not on a bun, although that might be tasty.

Ketchup as its condiment. ISTR mom cooking the ketchup
with the bologna, although it's been ages and the details
elude me. I also seem to remember fried onions with it.

Cindy Hamilton

now the onions sound good. My husband is a boloney fan and I thought
I would make one for him. A kind of lunch/supper thing. thanks
Janet US
Old 19-01-2017, 10:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
U.S. Janet B. wrote:

This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
couple of those food shows.
Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
what condiments? Anybody?
Janet US

If you think of the bologna as nothing more than a flattened out hot
dog, then any condiment you would use for that. On white bread.
Old 19-01-2017, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2017 2:46 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I also seem to remember fried onions with it.

Cindy Hamilton

Not your hubby's drowned possum?

Old 19-01-2017, 10:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 2:09:41 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
couple of those food shows.
Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
what condiments? Anybody?
Janet US

I like my bologna fried black, absolutely black and no it doesn't
taste burnt. Cheese is good for a change but I like it on white
bread with mustard. I want my hot dogs to be cooked until black,
too.

Old 20-01-2017, 05:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 1:57:01 PM UTC-8, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
[...]

you are describing my childhood. Baloney at the grocery store was a big 5 pound chub and the butcher would slice it for you any thickness you wanted or you could just buy a hunk and slice it yourself. and the crackers...my Mother made cheese and cracker sandwich to take to work for lunch....she worked in a textile mill. We had fried baloney sandwiches and sometimes we made fried baloney and let it curl up into a bowl and cracked an egg in there for breakfast.

Old 20-01-2017, 06:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
couple of those food shows.
Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
what condiments? Anybody?
Janet US

When I was a kid, we fried the bologna which my mom would get from the
butcher in a large chunk, slice it as thick as we wanted, put it on soft
bread with butter, or mayo, whatever we liked (I liked Miracle Whip) and eat
it. I don't know how they make them now, but if I was having one, that's how
I would make it.

Cheri

Old 20-01-2017, 01:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:
This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
couple of those food shows.
Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
what condiments? Anybody?
Janet US

When I was a kid, we fried the bologna which my mom would get from the
butcher in a large chunk, slice it as thick as we wanted, put it on soft
bread with butter, or mayo, whatever we liked (I liked Miracle Whip) and eat
it. I don't know how they make them now, but if I was having one, that's how
I would make it.

Back in my childhood days, a regular bologna sandwich was on white
bread with mayo. Deluxe one added processed american cheese, tomato
and lettuce. Also I'm pretty sure we always had the tangier Miracle Whip
too.

Occasionally, I got the fried bologna. Never got to have the thick
sliced though...it was still the thin pre-sliced and those were
put on white bread with mustard.

I was never a big fan of that and I've never made it in my adult
life. My daughter never got it from me either as she grew up.
Old 20-01-2017, 01:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

You are right, Cindy...it was a brain misfire ;-)) I think plain ol'
Wonder Bread type white bread is the choice for a fried bologna
sandwich.

I confess, while I was still watching NASCAR races, I generally tuned
out when the fried bologna sandwiches started being featured on
the grills set alongside the drivers' haulers.

N.