Posted to rec.food.cooking
ImStillMags ImStillMags is offline
Banned

Default What is a fried bologna sandwich?

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 1:57:01 PM UTC-8, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:30:00 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>

> >On 19-Jan-2017, U.S. Janet B. > wrote:
> >
> >> This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
> >> couple of those food shows.
> >> Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
> >> from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
> >> what condiments? Anybody?
> >> Janet US

> >I haven't had one since about 1959; but, when I had them, they were a thick
> >slice of bologna (maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch), pan-fried and served on white
> >bread or saltines. Mustard was the only condiment I recall seeing anyone
> >use; it was certainly my choice. Saltines were useable back then because
> >the came four squares attached in a larger, perforated square. It could be
> >broken into 4 crackers the size of today's saltine or left whole to make a
> >sandwich.
> >
> >B'loney sandwiches and soda pop were big sellers at my grandfather's country
> >store, when the farmers came in with money, they'd splurge on that treat.
> >Even after my grandfather had a griddle and could make hamburgers, b'loney
> >sandwiches were more popular. But, many wanted the b'loney fried. Few of
> >them, but a couple, didn't have the nerve to add a treat when they came in
> >looking to buy on credit.

> I'd forgotten that saltines used to come 4x4. They made a good cheese
> sandwich with brown mustard
> thanks for the sandwich info
> Janet US

you are describing my childhood. Baloney at the grocery store was a big 5 pound chub and the butcher would slice it for you any thickness you wanted or you could just buy a hunk and slice it yourself. and the crackers...my Mother made cheese and cracker sandwich to take to work for lunch....she worked in a textile mill. We had fried baloney sandwiches and sometimes we made fried baloney and let it curl up into a bowl and cracked an egg in there for breakfast.