Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_17_] dsi1[_17_] is offline

Default Sage Advice

On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 3:14:22 PM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 16:37:58 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsiyahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > This does not sound very useful. Mostly you're checking to see if it's accurate or not. What do you do if it's off? My guess is that you dump the unit.

> Oh, it's useful. I use it for baking too. I've never thought about
> checking it for accuracy, mainly because when I use it to check things
> my slow cooker's temperature - it reads what it's supposed to read.
>

> --
> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them.

I use a thermometer for certain tasks. Mostly it's for stuff that I've been cooking for years. The idea of using a thermometer for a grilled steak or hamburger is an new one and came out of the food safety training movement for restaurant cooks and food prep. This arose out of the sensational stories of food poisoning incidents on the internet which begot our general distrust of our food manufacturing and food service industries. Our foods are the safest it's ever been yet fears are at an all time high.