Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Sage Advice

On 4 Jan 2017 17:30:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2017-01-04, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
> > Most thermometers give instructions for checking and re-setting for
> > accuracy.

> It should read, "Most quality thermometers". I've got a beer brewing
> thermometer that can be adjusted. It's a Fermentap and it costs close
> to $50usd. Don't see that kinda quality ona WW cheapo.

That's because they are $10 or less throw away thermometers. The
battery dies, toss it out.

I have a Thermapen, which costs closer to $100, and had no idea it can
be calibrated. Apparently there's a way to do it. Thanks Janet!
http://www.thermoworks.com/learning/...ing_an_icebath
Now I have to find out what the +/- tolerances are. So far, so good -
but it's always wise to check.