Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jeßus[_61_] Jeßus[_61_] is offline

Default Sage Advice

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 15:09:28 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-01-04 12:46 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 09:26:17 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I have a wired probe thermometer that is next to useless. I could never
>>> rely on it when I had it set for a particular temperature. I have only
>>> had my instant read for a short time and used it a few times, and it has
>>> been very reliable. I would not bother with it for a think steak or
>>> chop, but I used it with a pair of 2" tenderloins and got much better
>>> results than I would by other methods. It doesn't matter too much for me
>>> because I will eat a tenderloin that is raw 3/4 through, but my wife
>>> thinks that is barbaric and prefers hers cooked.

>> I can eat beef quite rare, as long as it's tender and not chewy.
>> These days I prefer medium rare though.
>>

>I like tenderloins and they are much better rare. Charred on the outside
>and raw in the very middle is ideal for me.

I used to like raw in the middle but over the years I've changed to
medium rare... but definitely no more than that. I do love a good
steak tartare though.

> Anything past medium is a waste of good meat.

I have a certain friend who cooks the living hell out of steak at the
BBQs we have. So much so I stopped bringing over top quality Scotch
fillet a long time ago. It's almost criminal to destroy such lovely
meat like that.

>If you want beef well done stick to hamburger.

Agreed.