Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_17_] dsi1[_17_] is offline

Default Sage Advice

On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 2:41:09 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/3/2017 3:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > What is surprising is that recipes are giving temperature measurements for meats. You have to probe your foods with a thermometer. This seems kind of lame for a steak or a chop.
> >

> What would you suggest? You can tell a bit by touch but an instant read
> thermometer is more accurate. I take steaks off the grill at 110, rib
> roast out of the oven at 120.

Dare I suggest that we could cook like we did for hundreds of years before there were instant read thermometers or would that be far too uncool? There's a lot of people that can cook a steak without one of those new fangled gadgets. Of course, for a big roast, I always use a thermometer. It's not an instant read thermometer but there's no way I'm going to be poking a god-damn piece of meat every 5 minutes or so.